Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bid on small job trying to be fair on both ends

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post

A plaque on an old bosses desk:

QUALITY - PRICE - SERVICE
    PICK ANY TWO
    It doesn't look like he's done any leg work to figure out what the customer is looking to accomplish.

I just had a call the other day, I went there today and I set it up for April 2nd a Sunday to go at 8 am
    two led retro fits in a line with a fan in the mIddle add two switches cut out single gang existing switched outlet box and change to a three gang cut in fan, light, switched outlet total 5 hours cut one hole up top by top plate to get into ceiling ,,,,,,,

Two rooms upstairs install a fan box and add one switch in one room cutting out single switch box for existing switched outlets and changing to a two gang fan light on one switch 3 hours

In the master cut out existing switch outlet switch box change to 3 gang fan light on two switches both fishable from the crawl space adjacent to both rooms
    3 hours free estimate one trip 30 an hour plus material I charged him.650.00 I'll do it in a day

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    I just had a call the other day, I went there today and I set it up for April 2nd a Sunday to go at 8 am
    two led retro fits in a line with a fan in the mIddle add two switches cut out single gang existing switched outlet box and change to a three gang cut in fan, light, switched outlet total 5 hours cut one hole up top by top plate to get into ceiling ,,,,,,,

Two rooms upstairs install a fan box and add one switch in one room cutting out single switch box for existing switched outlets and changing to a two gang fan light on one switch 3 hours

In the master cut out existing switch outlet switch box change to 3 gang fan light on two switches both fishable from the crawl space adjacent to both rooms
    3 hours free estimate one trip 30 an hour plus material I charged him.650.00 I'll do it in a day
    $30 an hour? On a Sunday no less. Triple it and you will be close.

Triple it I kinda left the day on they're hands I still work a day job Monday through Friday so I aimed for the weekend in the first place when your breaking down the price to them how do you explain to them to triple it or do you not break down the pricing and just say hey after further review this is my price.

I want to make a good impression I know I try to keep it short and simple and speak with confidence I believe that stands out and obviously a job well done

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    Triple it I kinda left the day on they're hands I still work a day job Monday through Friday so I aimed for the weekend in the first place when your breaking down the price to them how do you explain to them to triple it or do you not break down the pricing and just say hey after further review this is my price.

I want to make a good impression I know I try to keep it short and simple and speak with confidence I believe that stands out and obviously a job well done
    Just on/off switch or on a dimmer?

If the latter, some combo dims down quite deeply. Some only dim to 10%, which means it feels it only dims by 2/3. LED ballast usually fails to work to satisfaction on regular dimmer so you have to use something like Lutron C-L (which goes from like $25 for basic stuff to $100+ for the fancy stuff that looks baller). Dimmed LEDs can be extremely finicky so commissioning them to work correctly most definitely increase billable hours. if they seem interested in fancy stuff and go for it, the added profit earned while there is your gain.