Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bid on small job trying to be fair on both ends

I'm not making a lot off of this except to build my clientele , if the circuit is existing do you still have to afci protect I thought no No inspection no dimmer and 30 an hour is my residential price 40 for commercial and anything involving rigid imc, 4160, or any kind of explosion proof material with seal offs usually I charge round 50 an hour and I have my own pipe threader and as of right now the 25 an hour i make on the books is comfortable but I'm a sky is the limit kind I have a two women and a daughter at home that look at me for the most part when it comes to provisions and I'm just a guy trying to make it out there the bottom of the ladder is full there's plenty of room at the top

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    I'm not making a lot off of this except to build my clientele , if the circuit is existing do you still have to afci protect I thought no No inspection no dimmer and 30 an hour is my residential price 40 for commercial and anything involving rigid imc, 4160, or any kind of explosion proof material with seal offs usually I charge round 50 an hour and I have my own pipe threader and as of right now the 25 an hour i make on the books is comfortable but I'm a sky is the limit kind I have a two women and a daughter at home that look at me for the most part when it comes to provisions and I'm just a guy trying to make it out there the bottom of the ladder is full there's plenty of room at the top
    When you do decide to go all out and do this on your own, those that liked $30 an hour are going to seek work elsewhere when you finally decide you can't afford to charge $30 an hour and move the rate to $75 or $100 to cover all your overhead, so keep that in mind.

It might be easy to charge that now because you don't have the overhead. Also beware if you don't have any liability insurance now, it can bite you if something goes wrong. Even if you don't break codes, your work doesn't burn someone's house down or electrocute someone, you still can have a mishap and have to repair or replace something that isn't cheap, it happens.

If your $25 hour job hires you out I bet they charge their clients at least $50 hour or more. They need to cover payroll expenses, benefits, workers compensation insurance, as well as get some profit out of you. They also must cover any losses you might create, you probably do make mistakes, break things, lose things, etc. at least once in a while, we all do. They must also cover your sick time, vacation time, etc., which is all gone if you go solo, you need to make enough to ride through those times.

You can at least double your labor rate and still would be reasonably cheap in most places, but also be within the typical market range with your services. If your current clients demand that $30, especially after you do go solo, they are bottom feeders and you will likely find they are not the kind of client you want to have once your rates go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    if the circuit is existing do you still have to afci protect I thought no.
    What code cycle are you working under? Just looked at your profile and it states that you are under the 2017 Code so AFCI protection would be required.

If you would give the area where you are located it would help. Some areas are a bit more strict than others even when it comes to permits.
    Any fool knows a dog needs a home, a shelter from pigs on the wing.