Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bid on small job trying to be fair on both ends

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bid on small job trying to be fair on both ends

I have a job coming up that I have to look at and from my understanding it is just a condo with attic access and they want to get some ceiling fan boxes installed with the fans and possibly some can lights on switches for all of them.

My question is should I go in with a bid of per hour, and material; or should I simply just bid it per opening and what is a good per opening rate to charge. They live in a well off neighborhood and they probably aren't hurting for the cash but have a baby coming.

Any thoughts on this would be great thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    I have a job coming up that I have to look at and from my understanding it is just a condo with attic access and they want to get some ceiling fan boxes installed with the fans and possibly some can lights on switches for all of them.

My question is should I go in with a bid of per hour, and material; or should I simply just bid it per opening and what is a good per opening rate to charge. They live in a well off neighborhood and they probably aren't hurting for the cash but have a baby coming.

Any thoughts on this would be great thanks guys.
    Your time is worth the same whether they are poor as church mice or siblings of Bill Gates with triplets on the way. If you've already surveyed the work you should have a good idea how you are going to perform it. Give them a fixed price and be done. No one is going to reduce your costs because you're a nice guy. You have to eat too.

My question is should I go in with a bid of per hour, and material; or should I simply just bid it per opening and what is a good per opening rate to charge.
    What would your per opening price be, and how did you come up with it?

I think 50 bucks a space maybe what do you think

Sounds pretty cheap to me
    Bob

Ok, they want fans installed where there is none. So you are going to do them for $50 each? Let's see.....it takes an hour to locate where to cut the hole, cut hole, run wire, possibly having to cut in a switch, find/add a junction box etc.
    Then assemble and install the fan.
    All for $50?

You should lay it out on paper, the cost of material and the time it takes to do it. Probably need to add some time because it always seems to take longer. Add your mark up on the material, then your profit, then your labor. I bet you come up with way over $50 to do all it takes to install a fan in an area that has no light or power.

If you've done enough "virgin" installs for fans or can lights you can come up with a close "per each price". But if you just pull a number out of the air you won't be in business long.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

How did you come up with that?....just guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    With prices that low, I think he should just do it for free and become a nonprofit organization, because that's essentially what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post

I would think this is labor only and is side work (1 hr ).
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Your time is worth the same whether they are poor as church mice or siblings of Bill Gates with triplets on the way. If you've already surveyed the work you should have a good idea how you are going to perform it. Give them a fixed price and be done. No one is going to reduce your costs because you're a nice guy. You have to eat too.
    And the knowledge and experience to estimate accurately and bid accordingly is what helps you get future jobs as well as not lose money. Charity work should be seen as a time to take good notes on how long something takes. If you're working as an employee you just do the work as told and the billing issue is not your concern.