splice in the panel box

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

My new helper commented that wire splices are not allowed within a residential panel box. Years ago my master electrician told me the same thing. One of my instructors in a code book class said that you can make all the splices you want in a panel box. I have never recognized an article in the code book that allows or disallows it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My new helper commented that wire splices are not allowed within a residential panel box. Years ago my master electrician told me the same thing. One of my instructors in a code book class said that you can make all the splices you want in a panel box. I have never recognized an article in the code book that allows or disallows it.

Just because someone says something does not mean that it is so.
Also just because you cannot find it in the code does not mean you cannot do it.
You can make all the splices you want as long as you follow the rules. Have sufficient volume is one. I is kinda late to cite the code section. I used to know it off hand as I would send it off to others.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Well...the "Master" Electrician was incorrect....and the Instructor is partly correct...he is about 40/75 correct...lol read 312.8 as someone stated previously for the answers.:angel:

Now it is quite possible the instructor was talking about a panel enclosure that no longer contains switches or overcurrent devices and is in their opinion now simply a junction box........but I doubt that is what he/she was referring too.

Status
Not open for further replies.