Federal Public works projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hello ,
Does a Prime contractor/Bidder need to list the subcontractors the prime intends to sub to?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Most of the time yes. It should be in the RFQ.

That's what I thought. So why do you think that over the past few years I have been contacted to bid and perform work as the EC on these projects well after the job was initialy awarded. I have even worked on some. Some that I would never had the opportunity to work. They paid well too.

I think it is strange.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That's what I thought. So why do you think that over the past few years I have been contacted to bid and perform work as the EC on these projects well after the job was initialy awarded. I have even worked on some. Some that I would never had the opportunity to work. They paid well too.

I think it is strange.

There are several reasons. First would be that the Customer wasn't OK with the selected subcontractor (usually paid by the Customer). Second The GC used the number, but when scoping found them lacking. At that time can request to substitute usually at their own cost. Third the subcontractor backed out. And last that I can think of, the GC is being underhanded but the subcontractor either didn't follow up enough to find out, or doesn't care. Generally though a substitution requires request by the GC and approval by the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.