Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Romex in Basement

Quote Originally Posted by no1uknow View Post
    Somewhat, yes. What constitutes as "a lot" of cables to one person may not be equal to "a lot" in another persons mind.

I think I am going to re-run the existing cables correctly, however many there are. There are 2 critical ones which I will have to do first (AC condenser & well) but the rest are lights and receptacles at various locations along the floor joists so it won't be too terrible of a task. I am looking to expand electrical in the basement area for a work shop and running power to several a receptacles on the walls (EMT down the walls, all GFCI of course) is necessary for shop equipment. There are no wall-mounted receptacles at the moment which is a huge pain with extension cords all over the place and hanging down from the ceiling. Since I'll be running new romex, I might as well re-work the existing violations to bring them into compliance. I'm sure someone would find this much work as unnecessary, but I don't mind taking the time to make it right. Not to mention I posses the sort of luck that some future inspector would nail me on the existing violations
    So this is your home?
    I don't blame you at all, I would not want to look at that every time I went in the basement.
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

In VA, what you describe would be allowable in crawl spaces but not a basement.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Not many basements around here, but very commonly found in crawl spaces. Most of the time I am luckily if I don't see at least some on the ground.

With the OPs piping background, neatly installed romex would look like an unmade bed. Eye of the beholder and all, pictures would go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    In VA, what you describe would be allowable in crawl spaces but not a basement.
    The majority of the time we either have slabs or basements here, very few crawlspaces, and I'm happy for that!

Put in a suspended ceiling and it is no longer a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Put in a suspended ceiling and it is no longer a violation.
    Heh, that's a novel approach. Probably cheaper/easier to rewire it, especially if there is other/a lot of mechanical in the way of the grid.

There are very few slabs or basements here. Crawlspaces wouldnt be so bad if with older homes the builder didnt use it as a garbage dump. Sharp huge rocks, broken cinderblocks, pieces of rusty bell iron, etc. make navigating them quite slow. Plumbing leaks, oil leaks, sinkholes and critters complete the little house crawlspace of horrors.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Heh, that's a novel approach. Probably cheaper/easier to rewire it, especially if there is other/a lot of mechanical in the way of the grid.

There are very few slabs or basements here. Crawlspaces wouldnt be so bad if with older homes the builder didnt use it as a garbage dump. Sharp huge rocks, broken cinderblocks, pieces of rusty bell iron, etc. make navigating them quite slow. Plumbing leaks, oil leaks, sinkholes and critters complete the little house crawlspace of horrors.
    My first reaction was "You can't do that!" and then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. The OP said the joists are 9'± AFF. Yeah it could be expensive, but if he wants a drop ceiling there anyway it's two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    My first reaction was "You can't do that!" and then the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. The OP said the joists are 9'± AFF. Yeah it could be expensive, but if he wants a drop ceiling there anyway it's two birds with one stone.
    9 foot basement ceilings have been common here for about 20 years or so on new construction, it allows you to put in a suspended ceiling and not have to box around ductwork /plumbing and still have approximately an 8 foot finished ceiling.

If the basement is not a space that is intended to be habitable space then it is just a waste to install 9 foot basement walls.

I agree putting in the ceiling can be more expensive then "fixing" the wiring issue though. Fixing that wiring issue doesn't really improve anything either though. It doesn't increase the value of the home one bit, a finished off ceiling does.

Quote Originally Posted by qcroanoke View Post
    So this is your home?
    I don't blame you at all, I would not want to look at that every time I went in the basement.
    Yes, this is my home. I plan to set up some CNC machines and a small wood-working shop in the basement area. I have already installed a sub-panel to accommodate the expansion as the main panel is full.

I'm not quite sure if I want to put up ceiling tile. I kind of like the rough look of a basement. Perhaps in the future I may paint everything on the ceiling black and remove the insulation, finish the walls, etc. but for now I'm leaving it as is. There are tons of other things that need to be done to the house before I tackle more accessory/luxury things like a basement ceiling.

Here's a few images of the existing wiring. Ignore the extension cords; I posted earlier that electrical outlets are hard to find down here which is why I'm expanding service.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200429.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	17094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200443.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	17095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200451.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	17096
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200344.jpg 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	17090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200354.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	17091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200406.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	17092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_200414.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	17093