Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Disconnect Outside Building

Main Disconnect Outside Building

New service to a tenant space (each tenant space has it's own individual service). The service was designed to be 2000A 480/277 and I spec'd a square d QED-2 MSB. We just got back BD comments and the plans reviewer tells me that this particular city has an ordinance that says our service disconnect must be outside.

So normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I have looked like crazy and it doesn't seem like anyone makes a 2000A ground fault protected disconnect other than in a SB (understandable). So how should I go about making this work? I don't want to move the whole MSB out back to the alley (not even sure if the fire department would allow that). The only other thing I can think of is to just get a single QED-2 Main Switch section and put that directly outside, then run feeders from there to the MSB in the electric room.

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points goes to anyone that can find a 2000A ground fault protected disconnect switch.

Thanks,
    - Drew
    Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more
    Rom 5:20

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzdrew516 View Post
    New service to a tenant space (each tenant space has it's own individual service). The service was designed to be 2000A 480/277 and I spec'd a square d QED-2 MSB. We just got back BD comments and the plans reviewer tells me that this particular city has an ordinance that says our service disconnect must be outside.

So normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I have looked like crazy and it doesn't seem like anyone makes a 2000A ground fault protected disconnect other than in a SB (understandable). So how should I go about making this work? I don't want to move the whole MSB out back to the alley (not even sure if the fire department would allow that). The only other thing I can think of is to just get a single QED-2 Main Switch section and put that directly outside, then run feeders from there to the MSB in the electric room.

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points goes to anyone that can find a 2000A ground fault protected disconnect switch.

Thanks,
    - Drew
    See if the accept a shunt trip breaker inside. with a break glass shunt trip button on the outside. I think it is likely they do. But You also don't need a disconnect switch. Your manufacturer can provide you with a enclosed circuit breaker with enclosure to act as the disconnect. The biggest problem with this is to make sure that the meter sockets have separate ground and neutral because most do not.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    See if the accept a shunt trip breaker inside. with a break glass shunt trip button on the outside. I think it is likely they do. But You also don't need a disconnect switch. Your manufacturer can provide you with a enclosed circuit breaker with enclosure to act as the disconnect. The biggest problem with this is to make sure that the meter sockets have separate ground and neutral because most do not.
    I’ve never heard of such a thing. Could you point me in the direction of an example or two?

I’ve never heard of such a thing. Could you point me in the direction of an example or two?

https://www.google.com/search?q=shun..._T6qRy1vhcO_M:

most fire departments don't require a little hammer. Most that I have seen are mounted at about 7 to 8 feet. The fireman merely uses his axe pick end and breaks the glass the button is held in by the glass and when the glass breaks it opens.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

The plans examiner emailed me back and told me that they do not allow shunt trip as a disconnecting means.

Can you just install a non fused swirched or do they want the overcurrent protective device outside. The switch gives you the disconnect while keeping everything the same. Since the switch does not have ocp, then you still have service panels in the interior so no equipment grounding conductor is needed between the switch and the panels.

it doesn't seem like anyone makes a 2000A ground fault protected disconnect other than in a SB (understandable). So how should I go about making this work? I
    The company I work for just uses a single section of NEMA 3R or better switchgear with either a breaker or bolted pressure switch with GFP.

Keep in mind that above 1200 amps, it will be called a bolted pressure switch. Seems like it boils down to getting one of those, a circuit breaker and enclosure, or breaking it up into several smaller service disconnects (in which case you could use circuit breakers, or regular safety switches because you dodge the GFP requirement).

Do you need metering provisions?

Seems like a supply house gear guy could set you up with the most affordable option.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Seems like a supply house gear guy could set you up with the most affordable option.

To expand on what a bolted pressure switch is

The bolted pressure contact switch uses bolts and/or cams to hold the contacts together under much more pressure than the old spring contact type switch.
    http://www.ecpowersystems.com/resour...essure-switch/

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    The company I work for just uses a single section of NEMA 3R or better switchgear with either a breaker or bolted pressure switch with GFP.
    I think that’s my only option at this point.