Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E Stop switch

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEDEng View Post
    totally right, bob - the "estop" word has only appeared in responses so far, not from the OP.
    Except for the title and all.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

totally right, bob - the "estop" word has only appeared in responses so far, not from the OP.
    actually he called it an estop too, but that may just mean it is a big red button.
    Bob

Good Afternoon

It is an e stop according to the Square D box. It has a break glass button holding contacts open.

When you break the glass it releases the button making the circuit. It was requested by our fire dept.

at each door to de-energize the MCC before entry in case of fire. That is the reason for the original install.

During a PMI it was noticed the contact and screws were rusted and cracking the plastic contact block housing.

I am replacing the contact block inside the e-stop.

Our engineer was concerned about the load side wires "IF" anything could happen.

Thank you everyone for the input.

For what it is worth the function you describe makes it not an emergency stop. Emergency stops have very specific rules and a shunt trip would not be part of it.

You are describing what many would call an 'EPO' Emergency Power Off button.

Thank you. I thought as i was reading that i might have the wrong name for the switch itself.

I changed out the contact block with out indecent so all's well that ends well.

I appreciate everyone's help.

HA sheesh you're right - right there in the topic. I only referred to the body, where it wasn't mentioned.

not enough coffee...too much coffee...old age...hard to say...

Sounds like you're all resolved, but I agree with what was previously posted: This is an EPO circuit, emergency power off, not an ESTOP. Semantics perhaps, but you'd get very different responses about this if it were indeed an ESTOP.

HA sheesh you're right - right there in the topic. I only referred to the body, where it wasn't mentioned.
    Post #5 by the OP:
    The chances seem remote that while replacing the e stop switch....

Well, at this point on March 17 and a Friday - it's too much beer, coffee's not in the equation...