Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 480V circuit in EMT

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    I'd like to see Mike Holt publish that book, explaining common NEC myths, how they came to be, and what the reality is on that subject matter.
    I'll bet 90% of the myths come from job specs.

Some greenhorn is hired by Fly-By-Night Electric and gets sent to a big commercial job. His foreman tells him to do something, say, "Run ¾" rigid from here to here for this 480-volt circuit." The poor cubby, not wanting to do all that work, says, "Why can't we just use EMT? I know how to bend that, and it doesn't need threaded." To which the foreman just says, "You can't run 480-volt in EMT."

What the foreman doesn't expound on is that the job specs prohibit EMT on the site due to it being a classified location, it's a vibration issue or any number of reasons why on that particular job, or in that particular portion of the job, the specs say to use rigid. So from then on, the newbie thinks the NEC prohibits 480-volt circuits in EMT.

What's the big deal about cutting into 480 volt NM?

The electrician school I went to hooked us up to 480 volts on day 1! If it killed you, you weren't allowed to be an electrician...

Of course I used to have to walk to school in 4 ft of snow, uphill both ways also...

EMT is generally banned in large industrial settings because it is simply not rugged enough to hold up for years of corrosive and physically abusive environments. Then, the cost of installing GRS generally results in a switch to cable in tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuber View Post

The electrician school I went to hooked us up to 480 volts on day 1! If it killed you, you weren't allowed to be an electrician...

Of course I used to have to walk to school in 4 ft of snow, uphill both ways also...

That must have been a very long time ago, seeing as how it's actually 600v NM.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    I'd like to see Mike Holt publish that book, explaining common NEC myths, how they came to be, and what the reality is on that subject matter.
    I'm positive I have used several of the code sections in this book....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    NM cable is rated for 600 volts. You may very rarely see it used on 277/480 volts, but it can be used as long as there is no restriction on NM for other reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    We used to run a lot of 480 & 277 in NM. That pretty much stopped when the NEC restricted NM above dropped ceilings.

Don't snip that 12/3 going by thinking 'no big deal its 120 volt travelers', its really a 3 phase 480 circuit to a fan. POW!
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    And 90% of the electricians hearing this died from heart attacks just pondering 480 volts on NM cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuber View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    That must have been a very long time ago, seeing as how it's actually 600v NM.

JAP>
    How did we go from the OPs question about EMT to NM?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    The OP got the correct answer for their question about EMT right away, after that we moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    From my post. I was trying to rhetorically ask if NM can be used for 600 volts, why can't one use EMT for 600 volts?

To go further yet, I imagine you could put medium voltage cable in EMT if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    From my post. I was trying to rhetorically ask if NM can be used for 600 volts, why can't one use EMT for 600 volts?

To go further yet, I imagine you could put medium voltage cable in EMT if you wanted.
    I don't see any voltage limitations in 358.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I don't see any voltage limitations in 358.
    And I doubt you see any limitations in any of the raceway articles, you don't apply voltage to the raceway you apply it to the contained conductors.