NEC and home automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

codetalker

First off, i'm trying to do something different so i'm after wisdom. I'm realistic, at some point I can give up. I want to gather enough code sections to review the plan with my inspector.

The plan is to install a computer system in the panel room, it will read all house switches and relay control all lights. All recepticals are standard wiring. I have all the experience to do the electronics parts.

There are 3 major points of issue:
1) i want to run low voltage wiring from all house switches (standard boxes and switches) to the panel room. This would be low voltage using maybe CL3 or whatever code requires. This of coarse commits the lights to be switched with relays or something.

2) I want to put switch boxes inline with all light branches accessible in panel room. In these boxes I will field install a 120v UL listed relays 12 volt coils. This is where another issue starts; the wiring from the box to the computer system will need to be rated in case of a short in the box. It will need voltage/temp rating, fusing, maybe more.

3) the computer interface; I do lots of circuit board design work so I was planning to design up a board with the required number of low voltage inputs and minature relay outputs to drive the larger relays. Here i'm a little unsure about the protection but think I can find those safety requirements. All relays are 120v UL.

I currently have a framed new house, no electrical yet.

Thanks for any help.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As stated in another thread, "why are you trying to re-invent"
The panels currently available will fit your needs. They are cleaner way of wiring and are UL listed for the purpose.

codetalker

I will look harder at panels but the ones I have seen so are a few thousand dollars. I am willing to purchase relay panels for light outputs, USB digital input modules for inputs. So, now i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I have no problem with this direction. Maybe I got to detailed when my real needs are info on things like the low voltage wiring from switches. Is the inspector going to freak out when he sees that? Does the NEC tell you how you have to wire a building?
Thanks

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I will look harder at panels but the ones I have seen so are a few thousand dollars. I am willing to purchase relay panels for light outputs, USB digital input modules for inputs. So, now i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I have no problem with this direction. Maybe I got to detailed when my real needs are info on things like the low voltage wiring from switches. Is the inspector going to freak out when he sees that? Does the NEC tell you how you have to wire a building?
Thanks

Compliant low voltage wiring should be no issue.
Non listed componets the inspector should have issue. ( mening a cobbled together relays, low voltage wiring and unlisted enclosures. As an engineer you should know this. If the system fails violently ( Fire) whoever installed the mishmash of components will be liable. There are a many of folks on this Forum that could create relay, PCB's, and controllers, that does not make them Listed and legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.