Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What is the code violation of using a meyers hub in a class 1 div 2 motor disconnect?

I don't see the issue with the meyers hub per se, however there probably is issue with your conduit assembly before the meyers hub. Do you have a seal off prior to the disco?

samd

I can see both sides of the argument i just dont see why it wouldnt be if there are 6 threads, would it not be the same as conduit threading into the disconnect?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I can see both sides of the argument i just dont see why it wouldnt be if there are 6 threads, would it not be the same as conduit threading into the disconnect?

The problem wouldn't be the 6 threads it would be the hole you drilled in the disconnect to mount the Meyers hub.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The problem wouldn't be the 6 threads it would be the hole you drilled in the disconnect to mount the Meyers hub.

Most of these EX boxes come either pre drilled/threaded or field threaded. In that case you would not use a Meyers hub. If there is issue with threading the last nipple into the Disco I think the prefered method would be a union.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
See 501.15(B)(1) which sends you to 501.15(A)(1).
501.15(A)(1) ... Conduit seals shall be installed within 450 mm (18 in.) from the enclosure. Only explosionproof unions, couplings, reducers, elbows, capped elbows, and conduit bodies similar to L, T, and Cross types that are not larger than the trade size of the conduit shall be permitted between the sealing fitting and the explosionproof enclosure.
Conduit hubs are not on the list and cannot be installed between the enclosure and the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.