Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That dreaded vaulted ceiling clearance

That dreaded vaulted ceiling clearance

I will be installing recessed lights for a church with an exposed beam cathedral ceiling. Basic tp style starting on 7'walls up to 24 ft. In between each beam is that shredded wheat looking stuff that's badly stained and looks bad. It's actually a acoustic board used under the shingles for sheathing and acoustic absorbing on the inside. Anyway that's now being covered with beaded soffit material with F channel running up both sides leaving a inch of wood on the sides for accent and of course the entire bottom of the beams will also be exposed. This creates a soffit and nice raceways but my problems with only 6.5" of clearance left for a vaulted IC housing. Good luck finding that. Next option was a eyeball but that limits my wattage some typically R30 or LED equal still not enough lumens. Next option was a LED driven gimbal ring similar to the Home Depot commercial electric gimbal ring. There nice the light isn't hiding behind a frosted lens of some kind I've used them many times. I'm worried even in a insulated can that these gimbals tilted as far down as possible in a shallow can will melt the plastic soffit surrounding the trim. The light with spring clips will slide into the housing and rest on vinyl soffit. The soffit material is flame resistant but doesn't mean it can't melt over time. Anyone have any ideas need 20 lights dimmable. I also thought about getting those cheap metal flat trims and use it like a washer for the gimbals just not sure what the best idea is. They really want recessed and I sold them on LED I budgeted $125 material per fixture. Any ideas 6.5" butts me right to the acoustic board. Thx in advance for any lighting ideas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	17077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3921.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	17078  

No idea why my pics always turn to the left. One problem at a time just turn back to the right the second pic is there current lighting.

Yea I'm stumped as well.

Thinking out loud

How about H27ICAT or something similar (shallow can) with a few more units spread over the area to be lit. I know they aren't sloped, but if you could start lower in the ceiling and spread the ight around.... Get a high lumen LED trim.....

Recessed is pretty much out of the equation; you won't be able to get a fixture with enough output to fit in there.

I'd go with enclosed spotlights in place of the recessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I agree. I have no idea what the place looks like but I would go with some pendent or suspended fixtures.

Actually I do see what it looks like now that I rotated your image. Pendent fixtures.

-Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; 03-17-17 at 08:07 PM.

Try these Disk lights. They look like recessed led lights when installed. but fit in a standard 4" j-box. (Warning: it's a tight fit. Allow extra time to install them.) These are dimmable. I've installed similar ones but not this exact model. I can't find the one I installed so check them out carefully in case I'm mistaken.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-4-in...0WHR/204732274

If you search the internet for "disk lights" you will find similar products from other manufacturers.

That dreaded vaulted ceiling clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Try these Disk lights. They look like recessed led lights when installed. but fit in a standard 4" j-box.....

The issue with that is the low output; that you linked is 625 lumens. I think if you were to look at the photometric curve on that fixture, if one is available, you'll find it's just not suitable. And on a vault like that, you really want a sloped can, which is what OP intended to go with but doesn't have the clearance.

I would really consider a tube spot, or even a pendant mounted LED fixture with an uplight on the top for that ceiling; something along the lines of a Lithonia Proteon with wide distribution. Someone makes a fixture like that in a 2' version that you could hang a few of, but I can't find it at the moment. The issue with that though is the $125 per fixture budget isn't going to cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brantmacga; 03-18-17 at 12:19 AM.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

By "sloped" do you mean aimable or gimbeled? That would indicate more of a focused beam than most LED trims which are very much flood lights. Having them flush to the ceiling is really not an issue except on the very edges next to the walls. Just place them closer to the walls than usually to solve that.

I just checked the LED trim I usually use in 6" cans and it's 650 lumens as well and seems very bright in 10' kitchen ceilings. For 24' ceilings perhaps a closer spacing and more fixtures are required if a lot of light is needed. They do meet the OP's main criteria: very little headroom is required.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I agree. I have no idea what the place looks like but I would go with some pendent or suspended fixtures.

Actually I do see what it looks like now that I rotated your image. Pendent fixtures.

-Hal
    What you said. With that ceiling height, you won't be happy with disc lights as your primary light source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk