kitchen lighting retro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Looking for some suggestions on the following job.

I have an existing kitchen that has upper level living space above(no attic access). General contractor wants me to quote installing recessed can lighting and pendants without disturbing the ceiling finish. The only factor that I am certain of is the direction the floor joists above run.In doing new construction I'm fully aware that HVAC and plumbing is usually always somewhere in the ceiling space of a two story home, along with nm cable.

There is a soffit built around the perimeter so an upper cabinet can be removed to allow for the switch legs to get down the wall. I don't feel comfortable at all cutting 6" holes for rework cans and trying to drill blindly through joists. Just getting 10 holes cut without encountering some obstruction seems like a lot to ask for. I suggested cutting a 12" wide path down the center(where pendants would land)of the ceiling so each joist cavity could be confirmed as working out. Am told that's not an option.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

John120/240

Your an Electrician not a Magician ! The GC is expecting miracles. One tactic that I have used is to take up the carpet in the affected area upstairs, cut the plywood where necessary. Blindly drilling across joist can be done but is a Royal PITA & it can drive you to drink, swear & cuss "Why did I ever agree to do this job for this price"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Your an Electrician not a Magician ! The GC is expecting miracles. One tactic that I have used is to take up the carpet in the affected area upstairs, cut the plywood where necessary. Blindly drilling across joist can be done but is a Royal PITA & it can drive you to drink, swear & cuss "Why did I ever agree to do this job for this price"

Agree been there before.

PetrosA

Tell the GC that unless he can provide you with photos of the ceiling before it was drywalled you need to add in ceiling repair and repainting to your quote and make it clear you don't have X-ray vision. I'd also recommend going with 4" or 5" cans and put in more if needed. 6" cans in a kitchen (which also tend to be below an upstairs bathroom(s) can get you into really tight situations for lack of wiggle room.

Another trick I use is to drill a 1/2" hole in the bay first and use an inspection camera to check for obstructions. Regardless, there is no painless way to do this.

ritelec

He wants this done and for you to make it look like you were never there?
GC ?
Ever do work for this guy? Trust him to not get picky and start back charging you for what may need re spackleing painting etc
Maybe ad a couple grand for those repairs if necessary ( maybe more)
Don't let him sucker you into something your no comfortable with.
We don't want to turn work away but sometime it's smarter to
As mentioned you're not a magician.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
One tactic that I have used is to take up the carpet in the affected area upstairs, cut the plywood where necessary.....
I've done that. It's a good one

If that's not possible, like if there's tile floorig above the kitchen, I make it abundantly clear that magic costs a lot more than sheetrock

Another tactic is to plan on installing crown molding around the perimeter of the room, and use that width to cut out sheetrock. For exploratory purposes

A couple of times, I've been extremely lucky to find an existing wire going across the ceiling, and use it as a pull wire.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I hate when you spend all the time doing layout on the ground and the first thing you find in the ceiling is the gas line running right down the middle of the joist bay.

PetrosA

And then there are days like yesterday... eleven four-inch cans went in without a hitch. I predrilled 4" holes in each bay over where the upper cabinets would be for pulling wires (which will later be hidden by the crown molding). There wasn't one duct, pipe or wire in my way anywhere and I only had to drill one joist through a can hole :D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
And then there are days like yesterday... eleven four-inch cans went in without a hitch. I predrilled 4" holes in each bay over where the upper cabinets would be for pulling wires (which will later be hidden by the crown molding). There wasn't one duct, pipe or wire in my way anywhere and I only had to drill one joist through a can hole :D
Gotta love days like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.