c.1949 tandem breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swei

Can someone identify these and perhaps provide a little backstory on them? I'm particularly interested to learn if they are a thermal only design given some recent experience (not tripping on a direct short that vaporized about two inches of #12 THHN.) A Square-D employee referred to them as "Type MM" but I can't find much online using that name other than some relatively modern-looking miniature C-H breakers.

thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 20141108_142354 (800x619).jpg
    20141108_142354 (800x619).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is some old stuff that I have ripped out that has SQ D on the dead front and Westinghouse on the innards that look just like your pic. I can't remember the numbers on the breakers. I'll try and look on the shelf at the shop tomorrow.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Square D XO type I believe. They are at least 60yrs. old, as I believe that sq.d went to qo type in the early 60's or even late 50's.

The OP clearly shows bolt-on style 1-pole MM breakers (M1 were 2-pole and M32 were 3-pole). These were likely built by Westinghouse and brand labeled by Square D and others. The last pricing, I have for a replacement MM breaker is dated 1970

You are correct that the XO family replaced some of the MM breakers and the QO family was introduced in the late 50's.

swei

Thanks, guys.

Anyone know if they are a thermal-magnetic design, or some kind of thermal-only? Known issues with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.