Thread: 210.52 (C)(2) Kitchen Islands & Sinks

210.52 (C)(2) Kitchen Islands & Sinks

Hi All,

Hoping for some interpretation - 210.52 (C)(1) figure, (C)(2) and (C)(4)

Have complied with all applicable requirements as understood in 210.52(C)(2) as well as 210.52 (C)(4).

We have an island that it just over 6' in length - flat surface, with a sink that results in 11" behind the sink.
    Separate work spaces which require 2 receptacles be compliant with 210.52 (C)(1) figure/picture.

On one side of the sink, there is greater than 24" inside rim of bowl to edge of counter. Inspection has cited
    (C)(1), (C)(2), and (C)(4) as applicable. Hard as I've tried, I can't see the requirement for a receptacle within
    24" of the sink - This is an Island, not a peninsula, not a wall space. Am I mis-interpreting the requirement
    for the island receptacles?

A typical island would require one receptacle, if a sink or other object leaves less than 12" of space behind it then it's considered two spaces and two receptacles are required. The is no 24" rule, the receptacles can be anywhere on either side of the sink as long as they meet the not more than 12" below and 6" overhang rules. If you had 10' to one side of the sink one receptacle is all that's required and there is no min or max distance from the sink.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I 100% agree with what Infinity said. Word for word that's what I teach my guys about receptacle requirements for islands.

Thanks guys.... I thought I was teaching incorrect, had never previously run into an inspector interpreting quite the way he did...