Range /Oven disconnect means ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello,

Single family residence

I've seen and wired several ovens in the past "hard wired".

Is that permissible? I'm reading through to get me head around this and can't seem to.

422.31 422.23

Locking method at panel to remain?

422.33 (B) if you have a slide out draw with cord your ok, but if there's no slide out draw a cord is no go?

DW ? If hard wired a breaker is fine ?? Been all along but always questioning it, so found this

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=141057

where on earth do you find a "listed cord"?

Digressing, Oven cord and plug? Always needed?

Thank you.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Hello,

Single family residence

Is that permissible? I'm reading through to get me head around this and can't seem to.

422.31 422.23

Locking method at panel to remain? YES you can leave a locking device on the panel

422.33 (B) if you have a slide out draw with cord your ok, but if there's no slide out draw a cord is no go? You can still have a cord connection without a drawer

DW ? If hard wired a breaker is fine ?? Been all along but always questioning it, so found this

Thank you.

If the instructions ask for cord connection then it is cord connection.

If it says "listed for dishwasher" on the cord instructions then it is listed for such use. I don't see a listed cord any different than a regular cord of the same spec but it does not have those words on the tag.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hello,

Single family residence

422.31 422.23

Locking method at panel to remain?

422.33 (B) if you have a slide out draw with cord your ok, but if there's no slide out draw a cord is no go?

Thank you.

You can still use the cord but must provide the disconnect according to 422.31.

ritelec

If the instructions ask for cord connection then it is cord connection.

Thank you.

And if it doesn't?

Is that referenced to range/oven or just dishwasher? Can a residential range/oven ever be hard wired (main service panel is elsewhere)?

Locking method to remain?

At one of those ceu courses this weekend it looked like the lock (although unlocked) was part of the construction and remained, unlock a lock out tag out type of system which could be removed from that location?

ritelec

??

DW.. if it says cord install a chord. cap and receptacle to be accessible or add switch lets say under sink. Panel circuit breaker does not count any more (and may never have).

Correct?

(breaker lockout type you screw on that is removable (but remains) expectable ?)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
??

DW.. if it says cord install a chord. cap and receptacle to be accessible or add switch lets say under sink. Panel circuit breaker does not count any more (and may never have).

Correct?

(breaker lockout type you screw on that is removable (but remains) expectable ?)
Keep in mind on the dw 210.8 (D) GFCI protection.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Range/Oven

Cord and Cap is always required.

If no draw, another disconnect is still required?

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.

(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.

(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).

422.31 (B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes.For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25. Informational Note For appliances employing unit switches, see 422.34.

Yes you will need a disconnect.

ritelec

Thank you Leo

Let me see if I've got this straight.

If that oven is fed from a circuit breaker and not with in sight of that breaker, then a lock as per 110.25 is permitted.

I don't have a 110.25 :D

I'm even looked back at my 2005.. where's 110.25?

And I'm looking at 2011 and 2005 and both 422.31(B)'s make no mention of 110.25. will google or look for an older book.

They both say the same thing though, that "shall remain in place with or with out the lock installed" . Does it mean "in place" or "in that place"?? ha ha ha

Thanks

ritelec

I'm looking at 2011.

It goes from 110.24 to 110.26. "NO" 110.25 ??

Then the .25 is in the 2014..

Why or how could they do such a thing. Did they know they where going to ad it in 2014..?

Status
Not open for further replies.