Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipotential Plane and Horse stables

Equipotential Plane and Horse stables

Hello All,

Article 547 is not an article I am intimately familiar. That being said, I am trying to determine if the cages in the picture need to be bonded to the Grounding Electrode System.

If so, how exactly would I accomplish this? Is it as easy and making the stall panels continuous back to the panel and connecting a bare #8 at ground bar in the panel. or conversely could I connect to the UFER?

I am a licensed electrician. I have just never come across this before, and I want to do it correctly, so I don't fail the inspection

Finally, should this be in the NEC thread?

Name:  Horse Stalls For Bonding.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  68.8 KB

Thank you all very much...

WROBO

PS There is a waterer betwixt every two stalls that has an equipment ground in the circuit

The cages don't need to be bonded. Hopefully the equipotential bonding is complete in the concrete per 547.10.

Speaking of the slab. how would that be done if there is no rebar in the slab? at least, that's what I was told by the HO as the slab was there before I was... I assume it is to late?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarroll View Post
    The cages don't need to be bonded. Hopefully the equipotential bonding is complete in the concrete per 547.10.
    Alos in addition to the above, the entire floor will have rubber mats covering it. will this help at all?

We do a lot of equipotential grounding in dairy barns. We would of had them install mesh or a rebar grid in the concrete and then installed bonding jumpers to the metal fence.

Since the floor is poured and the fencing is up, what did they call you in for? To install lighting and receps?

I think bonding those panels would be a good idea in regards to lightning protection.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrobotronic View Post
    Speaking of the slab. how would that be done if there is no rebar in the slab? at least, that's what I was told by the HO as the slab was there before I was... I assume it is to late?
    You assume correctly.
    Tom
    TBLO

Unless there's a chance of those panels becoming energized, why would you ground them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

No they do not need to be bonded, unless they are likely to become energized in some way.

Yes it is too late to install an equipotential plane in the existing slab.

Here such places would normally not require inspection. They often will not get an equipotential plane, electrician won't even be notified to install anything until the building is nearly completed. Dairy barns are somewhat of an exception though. Those owners do know that stray voltages effect production in the cows and are talking to their electrician early on in the process.

Horses will know

If you do need to bond, the horses won't drink. they can detect small amounts of potential.