Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Underground PVC size transition

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    What is the length of the 2" 'sleeve'?

    As I understand it, the reason you can't simply slide some 1.25" through the 2" sleeve is because of the bell ends for joining lengths of 1.25". But if you had a long enough length of 1.25" you would have no problem, correct?

    Would a flexible NM raceway be suitable for the entire run, something continuous with no joints in the middle?

    -Jon
    He could pull 1.25" carflex/NMLTFC through the 2" PVC, but then would have to transition it underground. I don't think NMLTFC connectors are suitable for direct burial even though the conduit itself is.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    304
    I'd bring the 2" up out of the ground on the house side into a conduit body or pullbox and use one of those bushings iwire pointed out on the garage side. Send a fishtape in from the garage side (go from smaller into larger conduit) and pull in a pullrope. Then pull the wire in, going from smaller into larger again. Shouldn't have an issue getting through the reducing bushing if you pull it that way.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by electrict dave View Post
    ... your trench should have been at 24 inches and not 18 inches.
    Just double checked Table 300.5, column 3. You are correct. I believe the pipe is at least 24" deep under the driveway since it arcs down and then up. Where I connect, it's 18" deep about 3' from edge of driveway.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    What is the length of the 2" 'sleeve'?

    As I understand it, the reason you can't simply slide some 1.25" through the 2" sleeve is because of the bell ends for joining lengths of 1.25". But if you had a long enough length of 1.25" you would have no problem, correct?

    Would a flexible NM raceway be suitable for the entire run, something continuous with no joints in the middle?
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    He could pull 1.25" carflex/NMLTFC through the 2" PVC, but then would have to transition it underground. I don't think NMLTFC connectors are suitable for direct burial even though the conduit itself is.



    The 2" sleeve is about 60' long. Using a continuous length of liquidtight is an awesome idea. I have buried those liquidtight connectors before. I assumed they were direct burial since the conduit is. Need to check that.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post


    The 2" sleeve is about 60' long. Using a continuous length of liquidtight is an awesome idea. I have buried those liquidtight connectors before. I assumed they were direct burial since the conduit is. Need to check that.
    Just bush down the 2" to 1 1/4 and be happy.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Just bush down the 2" to 1 1/4 and be happy.
    Reading your reply made me sing in a Jamaican accent "Don't worry......Be happy!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •