Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underground PVC size transition

Underground PVC size transition

Have a weird situation I'm not sure how to code compliantly solve.

An additional garage with 60 amp subpanel is being built about 100' away from the existing garage where the main panel is located. A 1-1/4" PVC was stubbed up in the slab below the subpanel and out the side at the required 18" depth. GC hired a directional boring company to come in and install a pipe under the very wide driveway between the garages. Instead of putting in a 1-1/4" PVC pipe, they put in a 2" PVC pipe. Now I have to mate the 1-1/4" to the 2" without any junction box, hand-holes or anything else that would be visible.

I thought about sliding a run of 1-1/4" PVC through the 2". (It's a straight run that gently arcs downward and then back up.) The bell end of the 1-1/4" just fits inside the 2". Decided this would be a bad idea because the pipe might get stuck if the pipe flattens out somewhere.

I thought about using plumbing transitions but that's a code violation as far as I know.

My best solution so far to glue bell end of the 1-1/4" inside the 2". There's about a 1/16th" gap. Not sure if this is code compliant.

Thoughts?

If you have to put a bushing on each end of the 2", it might be a bear to fish through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    If you have to put a bushing on each end of the 2", it might be a bear to fish through.
    I agree.

Most times we try to get a pull string / rope in place before back-filling any long / hard runs. I think this case qualifies as hard.

Thanks. I didn't know these existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    My best solution so far to glue bell end of the 1-1/4" inside the 2".
    Still curious if this is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Still curious if this is legal.
    I have changed sizes between 3/4" and 1" in a run. A 3/4" bell-end fits perfectly inside a 1" bell-end and snakes easy.

As far as the code ... well there is nothing that says you cannot, and the fitting I linked to should be listed for the application.

As always the code is a minimum and working down to it may result in a PITA.

Any reason not to just run 2" all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    I have changed sizes between 3/4" and 1" in a run. A 3/4" bell-end fits perfectly inside a 1" bell-end and snakes easy.

As far as the code ... well there is nothing that says you cannot, and the fitting I linked to should be listed for the application.

As always the code is a minimum and working down to it may result in a PITA.

I think you'll find what works on 3/4 & 1/2 won't work on the larger trade sizes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Why not just run your 1 1/4 through the 2" ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Probably because of this:

A 1-1/4" PVC was stubbed up in the slab below the subpanel and out the side at the required 18" depth.
    It's in the slab, sounds like major work to re-do all that.