Is a Home Depot fixture a track or luminaire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

At one of those ceu's this weekend it was mentioned that a 15 amp track can not go on a 20 amp circuit.

I recall Home depot has those 2 or 4 ' tracks with a couple fixers that go to an existing ceiling lighting outlet box.

I'm pretty sure they are not 20 amp rated.

Is to install such a lighting fixture a violation?

ritelec

410.151(B)

Lighting track shall be supplied by a branch circuit having a rating not more than that of the track.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
you learn something every day!
Most track I have installed are 20 amp rated. So not a issue.
Halo, Ligholier, juno , ....

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can plug an 8A rated extension cord into a 20A receptacle. You can plug a table lamp that can be used with a maximum 60W bulb but that will hold a 100W bulb into a 20A receptacle.
I fail to see the problem unless the documentation for the track specifies a maximum OCPD.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I too fail to see the reasoning behind the rule. Did the code making panel really come across a gross amount of failures becuase people installed 15 amp track on 20 amp circuits, If that is even possible to find such a animal.

ritelec

Went to Home Depot.

All their stuff says 60hz 120v. Nothing about amperage.

They have like the lightolier or halo track and live end feeds that look like 20 amp. also a center tap that looks like 12g wire.

They also have "Track fixtures" which look like fixtures that they call track lighting??
They also say "comes with" or say "uses up to" (I'm guessing 3- 50w bulbs or 150w) so doubt this one is rated 20 amp.

They also have track that says nothing about amerage that have SA and ETL listings... I have to google as I thought they were supposed to have UL listing.
The fixtures that go on these AS and ETL listed track have UL listing.

3 of 6

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I would say that the combos that limit what can be connected or that have monopoint track fixture receivers do not count as tracks for that code section.

ritelec

Goggling the AS and ETL listings. Just did ETL and it says it's recognized in North America and some South.

I google CE last week in reference from some chinese fixtures and made mention of being able to sell around the globe kinda.

Are we suppose to be installing anything that DOESN'T say UL?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The NRTL that does the testing is usually not an issue, BUT that lab needs to test against a UL standard for the product to be used in the US. (Assuming UL listing is required)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I guess another idiot put 20amps worth of track lights on one not rated for it. Fire ensued, so CMP had to make a change.

ISnt this along the lines of the 42 circuit rule? Some 200amp panel board burned up being used as an 800 amp service so we had to take action?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I guess another idiot put 20amps worth of track lights on one not rated for it. Fire ensued, so CMP had to make a change.

ISnt this along the lines of the 42 circuit rule? Some 200amp panel board burned up being used as an 800 amp service so we had to take action?
We don't have the 42 circuit limit anymore. Infact the big box stores are carying 60 circuit res all in ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.