Inside wall connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

334.40 B 2014 says yes for a repair.
I always thought a concealed splice in the wall was a no-no. The picture looks like low voltage. What is line voltage acceptable? Butt splices or crimps with heat shrink, wirenuts? (probably not), some type of set screw? Or am I on the wrong page here. For example could you eliminate a wall switch or outlet you don't want with a proper splice and stuff it in the wall?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A standard wire nut, crimp, or screw connector is not allowed to be concealed. The connector shown is specifically listed for that use.

gaelectric

I think the connector shown in the picture is of the type that is typically used to connect the halves of a modular home together. Designed for NM.

Not too sure if I would use one for a concealed repair myself.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I know of no restriction in Washington in the RCW or WAC for this, and I am not sure if a permit is required. I will send a one of the pictures to L&I (our electrical AHJ) and ask they discuss it in an future Electrical Currents issue (newsletter from L&I)

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, I was quite sure of that. Again that looks like a low voltage connector, is there a listed line voltage connector for that purpose?
Define low voltage - to some it is anything below 10kV;)

Even if you are talking splicing 12/24 volt lighting circuits the danger becomes heat produced if there is a poor connection and with that condition it will heat up if high current is flowing no matter what the voltage is.

I think the connector shown in the picture is of the type that is typically used to connect the halves of a modular home together. Designed for NM.

Not too sure if I would use one for a concealed repair myself.
They are often concealed in the modular homes as well when connecting from one section to another.

dhalleron

I found a loose one inside a wall on a modular home during a trouble. It wasn't burned, so I just plugged in in tight and put things back together. I believe it was listed for use inside the wall.

It as a change for 2014 -- submitted by the IAEI no less. However NIMH (Not in my house).

Code compliant see at home depot,ul listed and code approved they available for (A)2 wire romex w/grd splice ,
(B) 2 wire w/grd splice and added 2 wire tap off this same connector ,(C) join 2- 12/or14-3 w/grd together eliminates the buried Jb's

kwired

Electron manager
So not allowed in wall until 2014 code cycle.
Possible that NEC finally recognized them in 2014. They have been around for a while, and primarily used in mobile/manufactured homes that are moved in sections to connect each section together, and often were being buried in walls, would assume they were listed for that or the homes in question shouldn't have passed their certifications.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is still a connection behind the wall and in order to get to the connection the surface of the finish of the building has to be disturbed. I don't see how it passes inspections??

kwired

Electron manager
It is still a connection behind the wall and in order to get to the connection the surface of the finish of the building has to be disturbed. I don't see how it passes inspections??
Understood, but at same time the product is (presumably) listed for the purpose. Wouldn't 110.3(B) allow something that is not otherwise mentioned elsewhere in NEC to be used according to it's listing?

Quite often things are rejected based on 110.3(B), this be one case where something could be accepted where otherwise not allowed.

Not saying I like the idea of using something like this in a concealed location, but if it is listed for the purpose I wouldn't turn it down if I were an inspector.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

I usually see them under mobile home, the only concealed one I remember turned out to be behind a (self-contained) receptacle, found it when I took receptacle out to troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.