Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Why am I getting a shock?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    6

    Why am I getting a shock?

    So I get to a new house to add a new circuit, which is irrelevant, but every light switch that I touch I get a shock from the cover plate screw(s). Every time and very unpleasant . What is this from?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    2,764
    Shock with respect to what?
    Another words you touch the cover plate and where is the other hand touching?
    Edward
    Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Shock with respect to what?
    Another words you touch the cover plate and where is the other hand touching?

    This is the,thing I'm not touching anything else really, my shoes are on and it's hardwood flooring, but all I am doing is turning the switch on or off.. Is this static? Every switch in the house did this, felt just like a static shock. And in the dark you can see it coming from the cover plate screws. I have never encountered this anywhere

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    16,680
    If it were phantom voltage from 60Hz capacitive coupling it would be continuous while touching the screws.
    An instant of spark pretty conclusively identifies static.
    It is more likely that you are building up the voltage via shoe to floor or clothing to upholstery friction.
    Is this more noticeable when the air in the house is dry?

    Are the switches very old design?
    Is the switch yoke not grounded?

    mobile

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    59,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
    This is the,thing I'm not touching anything else really, my shoes are on and it's hardwood flooring, but all I am doing is turning the switch on or off.. Is this static?

    It pretty much has to be given you are not touching anything else.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
    This is the,thing I'm not touching anything else really, my shoes are on and it's hardwood flooring, but all I am doing is turning the switch on or off.. Is this static? Every switch in the house did this, felt just like a static shock. And in the dark you can see it coming from the cover plate screws. I have never encountered this anywhere
    Does the cover plate shock you before or only after the actuation of the switch? I don't believe static to be a good enough answer because eventually static will dissipate if you do this repeatedly. It's possible the switch is not properly bonded

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    59,869
    Quote Originally Posted by 310 BLAZE IT View Post
    . It's possible the switch is not properly bonded
    That cannot be the cause.

    For that to be the cause the OP would have to be touching some other conductive surface at the same time to complete the circuit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,956
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    It pretty much has to be given you are not touching anything else.
    Would you get a static shock off something that is grounded?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    17
    Objectionable Current can cause this. You could have a neutral touching something grounded. Shut off the main and see if it's still happening.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    8,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Would you get a static shock off something that is grounded?
    The switch is. He isn't. The charge buildup is on him. Different underwear might help.
    Tom
    TBLO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •