Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: 20A recep on 15A circuit?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I don't think NEC addresses this, if it is a violation it would have to be via 110.3(B) I would think.
    Table 210.21(B)(3). You could put 5 50A receptacles on a 40A breaker so long as you dont violate 210.23.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    30,360
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Table 210.21(B)(3). You could put 5 50A receptacles on a 40A breaker so long as you dont violate 210.23.
    This is what I get for posting before confirming - Table 210.21(B)(3) pretty much says a 15 amp circuit can not have over a 15 amp receptacle on it.

    IMO there is little harm in putting a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit and this is another case of NEC being the design manual it says it is not in 90.1

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Cheyenne WY USA
    Posts
    3

    sorry

    Sorry guys
    actually the comment about the #6 on a 40a
    was just me making the point that if the it was a rulit
    would be a dumb one just like not allowing a few
    20amp receps on 15amp circuit
    I've been a sparky for 20 years and I have constantly
    looked down my nose at the NEC code panel
    and local juristictional rules because I always question
    something that makes no sense to me
    Obviously it does not matter, if its a violation to put the
    20A receps on a 15A circuit me wuestioning it wont
    change it.
    I just couldn't find it as I have been away from the
    code for a decade working overseas
    I had always thought it was ok in the past and wanted
    to use that as the argument to the inspector since thry were not installed
    recently
    Only reason the spec grades got used was because they were free
    I was just trying to save time and effort on selling my house even though
    I could change them all in about 4 hours for less than
    100 bucks with all the headend gfci as well
    Sorry to have confused everyone with the
    I simply dont see why my receps are a violation since they are
    overrated for the circuit. I wanted to know
    if it was ever acceptable
    Also I say a lot of the NEC is written for the sake
    sales of new innovations on the market
    Just like the AFCI rule for living spaces
    The code is protecting agaist stupid people who
    cause fire or injury. You cant protect everyone against everything
    Natural Selection in this world is a good thing
    I wanted to ask this forum because I know
    there are a ton of smarter than me electricians on this
    forum
    So I am reading it now that I have to change
    all of my receps???

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    30,360
    Quote Originally Posted by JNOE View Post
    Sorry guys
    actually the comment about the #6 on a 40a
    was just me making the point that if the it was a rulit
    would be a dumb one just like not allowing a few
    20amp receps on 15amp circuit
    I've been a sparky for 20 years and I have constantly
    looked down my nose at the NEC code panel
    and local juristictional rules because I always question
    something that makes no sense to me
    Obviously it does not matter, if its a violation to put the
    20A receps on a 15A circuit me wuestioning it wont
    change it.
    I just couldn't find it as I have been away from the
    code for a decade working overseas
    I had always thought it was ok in the past and wanted
    to use that as the argument to the inspector since thry were not installed
    recently
    Only reason the spec grades got used was because they were free
    I was just trying to save time and effort on selling my house even though
    I could change them all in about 4 hours for less than
    100 bucks with all the headend gfci as well
    Sorry to have confused everyone with the
    I simply dont see why my receps are a violation since they are
    overrated for the circuit. I wanted to know
    if it was ever acceptable
    Also I say a lot of the NEC is written for the sake
    sales of new innovations on the market
    Just like the AFCI rule for living spaces
    The code is protecting agaist stupid people who
    cause fire or injury. You cant protect everyone against everything
    Natural Selection in this world is a good thing
    I wanted to ask this forum because I know
    there are a ton of smarter than me electricians on this
    forum
    So I am reading it now that I have to change
    all of my receps???
    I'm afraid your installation is safe but still not compliant. The AFCI debate started out as a legitimate attempt to increase safety, then got forced on us even though the product available didn't necessarily do what the makers said it will do. So that case alone is exceptional to many others that are in the code when it comes to abusing the intent of the code by it's own code making panels.

    I don't want to turn this thread into another AFCI debate, but OP did pull the starting pistol trigger. There are many threads, some pretty lengthy on the AFCI topic.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    blackwood nj
    Posts
    1

    20 amp recep on a 15amp circuit.

    Putting a 20 amp recep on a 15 amp circuit is dangerous. You have to look at it this way you may have not have been using 20 amps on that circuit but the second you do decide to use a 20 amp plug the wire ampacety wouldn't be able to handle that much amps flowing through it. which could possibly cause a fire from the heat in the wire. That is a major reason why its against the code and if you hired somebody to do that its illegal so in my opinion when doing any type of electrical work in your house make sure it follows the code.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    31,365
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrisseau View Post
    Putting a 20 amp recep on a 15 amp circuit is dangerous. You have to look at it this way you may have not have been using 20 amps on that circuit but the second you do decide to use a 20 amp plug the wire ampacety wouldn't be able to handle that much amps flowing through it. which could possibly cause a fire from the heat in the wire. That is a major reason why its against the code and if you hired somebody to do that its illegal so in my opinion when doing any type of electrical work in your house make sure it follows the code.

    I know that it is not compliant to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit but think about what you stated above. The circuit is protected by a 15 amp overcurrent protective device.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    22,478
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrisseau View Post
    Putting a 20 amp recep on a 15 amp circuit is dangerous. You have to look at it this way you may have not have been using 20 amps on that circuit but the second you do decide to use a 20 amp plug the wire ampacety wouldn't be able to handle that much amps flowing through it. which could possibly cause a fire from the heat in the wire. That is a major reason why its against the code and if you hired somebody to do that its illegal so in my opinion when doing any type of electrical work in your house make sure it follows the code.
    The NEC allows a 20 amp single receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. If you overload the circuit the OCPD will protect the conductors.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    ...NEC being the design manual it says it is not in 90.1
    You need to reference things in the correct context. Dropping words to prove your point could be disingenuous. 90.1 says it is not a design manual... for untrained persons (my accentuation). IMO, This means that if you are trained (e.g. qualified) you can design using the NEC, if you are untrained don't expect the NEC to teach you.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    15,077
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrisseau View Post
    Putting a 20 amp recep on a 15 amp circuit is dangerous. You have to look at it this way you may have not have been using 20 amps on that circuit but the second you do decide to use a 20 amp plug the wire ampacety wouldn't be able to handle that much amps flowing through it. which could possibly cause a fire from the heat in the wire. That is a major reason why its against the code and if you hired somebody to do that its illegal so in my opinion when doing any type of electrical work in your house make sure it follows the code.
    Thats why the Code requires protecting the conductor at it's ampacity.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrisseau View Post
    Putting a 20 amp recep on a 15 amp circuit is dangerous. You have to look at it this way you may have not have been using 20 amps on that circuit but the second you do decide to use a 20 amp plug the wire ampacety wouldn't be able to handle that much amps flowing through it. which could possibly cause a fire from the heat in the wire. That is a major reason why its against the code and if you hired somebody to do that its illegal so in my opinion when doing any type of electrical work in your house make sure it follows the code.
    Not to pile it on here- but even if there was a full 20 amps on that ckt, the #14 would very likely safely handle that load indefinitely.

    Violation, sure (in most cases....). Imminent danger, no.

    The amperage tables were designed with a cushion in mind- which FTR, I see nothing wrong with.
    Last edited by user 100; 03-19-17 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added thought- there are a few occasions (one is described in 240 I think) where you can go over 15 for #14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •