Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Siemens Two Pole AFCI Circuit Breaker

Quote Originally Posted by chris1971 View Post
    Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    Did you miss that this is a 2 pole breaker?
    Surely you're not suggesting that single-phase line-line loads are never installed on three phase systems.

Is this a trick question? It's 208.
    Yes so why did you say they were dp breakers. Someone can wire an apt with multiwire branch circuit and be stuck with needing dp breakers. I was surprised that if you wanted to add afci on an existing multiwire branch circuit that you could not do it in apts feed with 208V
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Surely you're not suggesting that single-phase line-line loads are never installed on three phase systems.

The question was whether or not a specific brand 2-pole AFCI would work on a 208 volt system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Yes so why did you say they were dp breakers. Someone can wire an apt with multiwire branch circuit and be stuck with needing dp breakers. I was surprised that if you wanted to add afci on an existing multiwire branch circuit that you could not do it in apts feed with 208V
    Because the double pole AFCI is limited to 120/240 volt circuits. We're arguing the same thing.

The only manufacturer that gives you a way out on a 120/208 panel that has MWBCs in it is G.E. and their Mod 3 breaker. You use two single pole breakers with their handle tie. Wire it to their spec, it is U. L. listed for that use.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Because the double pole AFCI is limited to 120/240 volt circuits. We're arguing the same thing.
    I think Dennis' question is still unanswered though. If you're required to have AFCI breaker on a 2-pole circuit and the panel happens to be 208V, are you SOL if you didn't think to install a GE panel (per bsmith8691)?

I think Dennis' question is still unanswered though. If you're required to have AFCI breaker on a 2-pole circuit and the panel happens to be 208V, are you SOL if you didn't think to install a GE panel (per bsmith8691)?
    That seems to be the case.

If you are adding a new circuit you obviously would not use a multiwire branch circuit and if you are extending the circuit then use an afci Receptacle. Probably not a problem.

I guess knowing this is good info for planning
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith8691 View Post
    The only manufacturer that gives you a way out on a 120/208 panel that has MWBCs in it is G.E. and their Mod 3 breaker. You use two single pole breakers with their handle tie. Wire it to their spec, it is U. L. listed for that use.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    But how do you connect the neutral of a MWBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.