Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wire bending radius

Follow manfactures specs.

I just installed a Siemans panel and the instructions said to not make tight bends and also not to run down and back up leaving excess wire. It actualy showed a picture of a panel with down and up wires bent to a 90 with a red x thru it. Then a picture of a panel with the feed and circuits sweeping in to the breakers. Of coarse I threw them away or i would of posted them.

Cowboy
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTheNEC View Post
    IN many cases we will say to maintain a 5, 8 or even 10 times the diameter of the wire bend in order to lessen the potential elongation damage to the conductor itself.
    This is misleading when referred to as "conductor diameter". Copper is a conductor. PVC and nylon are not conductors.

Does "conductor diameter" in this context mean overall wire diameter including insulation, or does it mean diameter of the conductive core of the wire?

Oh yes....as usual my efforts are to mislead. Because that's what I do....LOL....nevermind I probably am lying anyway...Good Luck.

PS....incorrect....assumption ...it's wire.....CU is a conductor or conductive material but then again your intent is to tit for tat...so I will just let you win....less effort.

Comments based on the 2017 National Electrical Code.
    *All code responses are based on the 2017 National Electrical Code[NEC]

Thanks again for the responses. After reading the post from master it reminded me of several machine installs that had pre wired control panels with bends much sharper than the ones in my panel. Hopefully this means he was stretching to find something! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
    I just installed a Siemans panel and the instructions said to not make tight bends and also not to run down and back up leaving excess wire. It actualy showed a picture of a panel with down and up wires bent to a 90 with a red x thru it. Then a picture of a panel with the feed and circuits sweeping in to the breakers. Of coarse I threw them away or i would of posted them.

Cowboy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If bent wires were a hazard, every single switch and receptacle box in America would be shooting flames from it right now. Now, bend the heck out of catx, coax, or fiber it may not be as forgiving. The bending radius of small gauge copper cant be less than wrapping it around a screw terminal. Pretty hard to bend it that badly, tho with AL I do try to baby it as much as possible and not rebend it too much.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    If bent wires were a hazard, every single switch and receptacle box in America would be shooting flames from it right now. Now, bend the heck out of catx, coax, or fiber it may not be as forgiving. The bending radius of small gauge copper cant be less than wrapping it around a screw terminal. Pretty hard to bend it that badly, tho with AL I do try to baby it as much as possible and not rebend it too much.
    Good point, often in a device box you will have one or two tight 180 degree bends in the conductors when folding them in neatly.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    This was a common method of connecting wires to boards 50 years ago:

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky