dual feed air handler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a carrier air handler with a 60 amp and 25 amp breaker installed in the face of the unit, I want to run one large feeder to the unit and apply the 25' tap rule to feed the two breakers using them for the over current protection, the inspector says this is not allowed that the over current devices cannot be in the unit they are for disconnecting means only, I cannot find anything in the code disallowing this, any help would be appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I fail to see why you have to use the tsp rule instead of extending full size conductors to both breakers.
But if the documents on the air handler specify a min circuit ampacity and a max OCPD, then I would agree with the inspector that the specified OCPD would have to be external to the unit.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My unit has a sticker above the breaker which says:

"Circuit breaker is not intended for branch circuit protection. It serves as a disconnect only".

JDB3

Depending on the breakers in the unit. Most of the ones I have seen are Square D, & there is a kit that ties 2 breakers together, to allow one feed for the unit.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on the breakers in the unit. Most of the ones I have seen are Square D, & there is a kit that ties 2 breakers together, to allow one feed for the unit.

That's what I've seen too. Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll run one big circuit and other times I'll pull the jumper kit out and run two circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.