Extra Hard usage rubber cable suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all.

Researching for rubber chord, 10-4 and 12-4. (3 phase w ground)

It is for outside, in New Jersey.

It's for a lift/hoist that moves head stones around. Front to back, side to side and up and down.

Will need something extra heavy duty. The 10 wire cable is attached to a pole with a kellems grip on one end and winds up around a reel on the other (hoist side) . Sun, rain, heat, cold elements beat the heck out of it.

The 12 wire will go between the contactor and motor. It will need to also handle the elements and any suggestions about rodents? They like to chew on it.

Looks like the attached picture except it's outside, old and rusty and the cable is falling apart (ok, guess it wouldn't look like the picture then :D)

Thank you,
Rich

ritelec

Is there a special category for hoist and crane cables or is it just general purpose flexible cord wiring?

Not sure. From the contactor to the motor held up well except for the squirrels. Maybe it's original and is "special crane cable"?
The owner said the feed was replaced about 10 years ago. Just looks like regular SJ something to me, and I was able to look at the contactor to motor wire at the contactor (in enclosure) and it looks like regular SJ type TW wire.
Could read any writing on it.... much bird poop, and old.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
SOOW is extra hard usage rubber cord.

If you put the J in it, it is 300 volt cable, so I would stick with 600 V SOOW.

Type W and Type G-GC rubber cords are even better at rough handling, but the smallest conductors are #8. Both have a 2kV rating!

Do not use any cord with a T in the letters, that's thermoplastic and not good for flex applications over the long haul.

Lapp makes some flexible cord for crane applications. I have used some of their ChainFlex products indoors.

Squirrels? Maybe a .22? Don't shoot the cable! I just had to repair the evaporative solenoid wires on my car, eaten by some rodent...

Frank DuVal
Fredericksburg, VA

ritelec

Squirrels? Maybe a .22?

Nice... :- )

Thanks for the info.. will check out chainflex
was looking around the other sight a bit, I like the braid they have??

Maybe something sleeved around the cable that's not fun to chew and tastes terrible? (although, how tastee could plastic be?)

ritelec

That reads like good stuff, but even on the downloaded data sheet I could not find a UL type designation.

Doing some research, and received a call back from that company. Talk is cheap but the girl mentioned several listings along with UL ... ? They have to be listed, I mean they have a nice web site so..:D

ritelec

Would anyone know if the rubber cord (soow) has to be approved for cranes?

I do see 400.7........... Uses permitted (5) cranes and hoists.

Priced the stuff with the wire braid in it and it's ~ $7 a foot compared to ~ $2 a foot.

I will give the owner the option of either and mention the pricier wire will stand up much better (women mentioned they also use it it mines and it seems the rodents don't eat it). but at 210' it will be up to him.

Just want to make sure that soow is ok for cranes before I run this past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.