50 AMP PRESSURE WASHER NO GFI IN THE CORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That would appear to be the case.

A pretty good argument can be made that it could not be made with cord though.

It is unclear to me just how one could legally connect up a pressure washer that came with a cord but no plug.

Could one not bring the cord into a disconnect on the wall, instead of a Plug and Receptacle? What would be Illegal about that?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I really don't understand why this and some similar rules are even in the code. The code does not apply to the manufacturer and I fail to see how a cord and plug connected portable device is "installed". This is something that should be addressed in the product standard and not in the NEC.

That being said, apparently there was a safety issue with pressure washers that resulted in the GFCI requirement.

I'm finally understanding what you meant by this. If the cord was to happen to get damaged and needed replacing, do you have to take it back to the factory to get it reinstalled?
I doubt they would even touch it, or what if they were no longer in business?

Does the pressure washer then become a useless piece of equipment that can never be used again ? or does the rule only apply to the Manufacturer to get the GFI in the cord on the initial product?

Not sure where that leaves us should we get asked to repair a damaged cord on a pressure washer.

If one was to flex the unit into a disconnect and get rid of the Cord and Plug arrangement does that create any type of code violation?

iwire

Staff member
I'm finally understanding what you meant by this. If the cord was to happen to get damaged and needed replacing, do you have to take it back to the factory to get it reinstalled?
I doubt they would even touch it, or what if they were no longer in business?

Does the pressure washer then become a useless piece of equipment that can never be used again ? or does the rule only apply to the Manufacturer to get the GFI in the cord on the initial product?

Not sure where that leaves us should we get asked to repair a damaged cord on a pressure washer.

If one was to flex the unit into a disconnect and get rid of the Cord and Plug arrangement does that create any type of code violation?

Wow, you are really into this thing.:)

IMO, the requirement only applies to new equipment, it does not force anyone, not the owner, not the electrician, not the factory to put a GFCI on old equipment. You can still use old equipment. Its like old cars that do not have seat belts. The new seat belt laws do not apply to them and you don't have to upgrade the car.

The code section definitely does not require an electrician to provide a GFCI outlet.

Check out this NEC code section about vending machines and compare it to the section for pressure washers.

422.51 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Vending Machines.
Cord-and-plug-connected vending machines manufactured
or remanufactured on or after January 1, 2005, shall include
a ground-fault circuit interrupter as an integral part of the
attachment plug or be located within 300 mm (12 in.) of the
attachment plug. Older vending machines manufactured or
remanufactured prior to January 1, 2005, shall be connected
to a GFCI-protected outlet.

422.49 High-Pressure Spray Washers. All single-phase
cord-and-plug-connected high-pressure spray washing machines
rated at 250 volts or less shall be provided with factoryinstalled
ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be an integral
part of the attachment plug or shall be located in the supply
cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.

Notice that for old vending machines an electrician might have to provide a GFCI outlet, but not so for pressure washers.

My own opinion is that I would verify good grounding and forget about the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.