Thread: AFCI Question (sorry!!!)

AFCI Question (sorry!!!)

Hello All,

In San Jose, CA here and we have adopted the 2014 NEC. A few questions:

Question 1: I am planning on using the GFCI/AFCI dual function breakers in a panel for a kitchen remodel so that it covers me for both. for the countertop circuits... do I also have to install a GFCI/AFCI receptacle as well? I thought I read an article somewhere that was saying that. It doesn't make any sense to me, common sense would think that the breaker alone would be enough. Will the dual function breaker covering the circuit suffice to meet code?

Question 2: Adding additional lights and receptacles to a garage... I will be tapping into an existing lighting ciruit for lights and installing a new 20 Amp circuit for receptacles... are garageslights/receptacles exempt from AFCI protection?

Thanks in advance for answering yet another annoying AFCI question!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tbakelis View Post
    Hello All,

In San Jose, CA here and we have adopted the 2014 NEC. A few questions:

Question 1: I am planning on using the GFCI/AFCI dual function breakers in a panel for a kitchen remodel so that it covers me for both. for the countertop circuits... do I also have to install a GFCI/AFCI receptacle as well? I thought I read an article somewhere that was saying that. It doesn't make any sense to me, common sense would think that the breaker alone would be enough. Will the dual function breaker covering the circuit suffice to meet code?

Question 2: Adding additional lights and receptacles to a garage... I will be tapping into an existing lighting ciruit for lights and installing a new 20 Amp circuit for receptacles... are garageslights/receptacles exempt from AFCI protection?

Thanks in advance for answering yet another annoying AFCI question!

Ted
    1) DF breaker by itself is sufficient.

2) AFCI not required for any garage circuits.

Are there different types of AFCI breakers? Some that would protect the whole circuit and others that wouldn't? I'm trying to interpret the language in 210.12

Are there different types of AFCI breakers? Some that would protect the whole circuit and others that wouldn't? I'm trying to interpret the language in 210.12
    No different AFCI breakers other than some are dual function as you noted with the GFCI/AFCI.

In fear of confusing you I cautiously tell you there are some that used to have a form of GF protection but now do not. These are not to be confused with the dual function AFCI/GFCI.
    But these serve no special purpose.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

so there are no AFCI breakers out there that would also require an AFCI receptacle downstream?

so there are no AFCI breakers out there that would also require an AFCI receptacle downstream?
    That is correct

That would be like wearing a belt and suspenders!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

What there is was a dream of specifically rated panel breakers that are designed to use in conjunction with a downstream receptacle AFCI.
    Unfortunately the UL spec was never written and the product was never made, resulting is confusing and useless information in the NEC.