Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eyewash station ?

Quote Originally Posted by north star View Post
    @ ~ @

That is your opinion.......The bldg. owner' insurance provider
    may not see it that way.......In fact, the bldg. owner may
    actually get a cost reduction for being proactive in enacting
    safety measures [ or perceived ] safety measures.

@ ~ @
    While it may be an opinion it is a correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by north star View Post
    $ = $

What difficulty ?

Single Gang Toggle Switch Cover

$ = $

So now we went from just adding a cover to replacing the box and the switch so we can install this?

For an emergency shower?

Crazy,just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Assuming I buy this for a moment, why not put light switches (even with weatherproof covers) inside of shower stalls indoors? I hope this switch is not needed to illuminate the area of the station.

OP, is this eyewash station indoor or out? I deduct from the water cooler it's indoor. Is it a shower type where the switch would get wet, or a gravity tank type with removeable cups that once removed you stick your face in?

I've made my position on eyewash stations clear many times in the past. If you are using one, you are probably freaking out, covered in chemicals, and 99% of the time common sense will go right out the window. Muriatic acid, lye, etc in your eyes tends to do that. Make it as safe and idiot-proof as possible. There is a great deal of room to improve in industrial safety, for relatively little cost. Are you the engineer that says "it's been this way for x years, they'll be ok" or one who goes "you know, under certain conditions, that have happened before elsewhere, it might be a good idea to..."?

In this particular example, I agree with northstar 100%
    So in use covers in every homes kitchen that has a spray hose cause you never know ...

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.

I've made my position on eyewash stations clear many times in the past. If you are using one, you are probably freaking out, covered in chemicals, and 99% of the time common sense will go right out the window. Muriatic acid, lye, etc in your eyes tends to do that. Make it as safe and idiot-proof as possible. There is a great deal of room to improve in industrial safety, for relatively little cost. Are you the engineer that says "it's been this way for x years, they'll be ok" or one who goes "you know, under certain conditions, that have happened before elsewhere, it might be a good idea to..."?

In this particular example, I agree with northstar 100%
    Someone goes to use the eyewash station. He's covered in acid, freaking out, and then what? He grabs onto the light switch while the light switch is subjected to a steady stream of water, while the dude freaking out is touching the light switch and then fire and sparks erupt and he collapses on the floor. That is only going to happen on a Hollywood movie set.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    So in use covers in every homes kitchen that has a spray hose cause you never know ...
    With respect, I think there is a point being missed here by several posters.

An eyewash statiion is likely to be installed in an industrial facility or other process operations where there is a risk, however minimal, of eyes being subjected to harmful substances used in the process.
    The cost to such an operation of making a local switch weatherproof would likely be negligible in the scale of their operation.
    Just do it and the concerns expressed here, regardless of your views on their validity, are gone at a stroke.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    With respect, I think there is a point being missed here by several posters.

An eyewash statiion is likely to be installed in an industrial facility or other process operations where there is a risk, however minimal, of eyes being subjected to harmful substances used in the process.
    The cost to such an operation of making a local switch weatherproof would likely be negligible in the scale of their operation.
    Just do it and the concerns expressed here, regardless of your views on their validity, are gone at a stroke.
    With respect you are ignoring the question the OP asked.

They did not ask what you think about it, they asked if it was a violation

No. I specifically asked the original poster two pertinent questions: is this station indoors or outdoors, and it is it a shower or gravity flow type eye wash station. A water fight or errant spray from a sink are not in the scope of the OP's question nor my reply.

I would LOVE to address actiondave's argument re: perceived vs actual safety, however I cannot due to no politics policy on this forum.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

So now we went from just adding a cover to replacing the box and the switch so we can install this?

For an emergency shower?

Crazy,just crazy.
    FYI, they make those switch plates that can be installed without changing the box. The red handled one is the one I use but it too is available with mounting holes as shown below.

They say I killed a man named Greg and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

No. I specifically asked the original poster two pertinent questions: is this station indoors or outdoors, and it is it a shower or gravity flow type eye wash station.

How does that change things?

The OP is asking if the presence of a emergency eye wash station near an electrical device is a code violation.

Please stick with that, and cite the code section.

Indoors, outdoors gravity or pressure none of that comes into the question the OP asks .... unless I am missing a code section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    FYI, they make those switch plates that can be installed without changing the box. The red handled one is the one I use but it too is available with mounting holes as shown below.

Yes they do, it is not what was suggested and what box are you putting that on that maintains the listing? It will have to be an FS style box or it is just for show and not code compliance.