Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Eyewash station ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,427
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Yes they do, it is not what was suggested and what box are you putting that on that maintains the listing? It will have to be an FS style box or it is just for show and not code compliance.

    I guess I am thinking sheetrock walls but it is probably on a concrete block wall if so then FS box otherwise a standard recessed switch box works
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,333
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    With respect you are ignoring the question the OP asked.

    They did not ask what you think about it, they asked if it was a violation
    Directly from the OP:
    Safety has questioned this and says its a wet location 1910.305 (e) (2) .
    Simply installing a weatherproof switch would cheaply resolve this issue. Along with other posters here, that's the simple and relevant suggestion I was offering for the OP to consider.
    As the saying goes, don't sweat the small stuff.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I guess I am thinking sheetrock walls but it is probably on a concrete block wall if so then FS box otherwise a standard recessed switch box works
    I do not believe using a standard box with that cover would be considered water resistant by UL. (In other words not a listed combination)

    A gasket sealed to drywall is not water resistant IMPO.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    How does that change things?

    The OP is asking if the presence of a emergency eye wash station near an electrical device is a code violation.

    Please stick with that, and cite the code section.

    Indoors, outdoors gravity or pressure none of that comes into the question the OP asks .... unless I am missing a code section.
    There is no CODE (NEC) section, however there very well may be an OSHA section or 3. The last time I looked up mfg installations of shower type eyewashes, I did not see anything relating to nearby electrical gear.

    I asked indoor vs outdoor, shower type vs gravity type was vague; to the point, is the switch subject to water either environmentally (outdoors) or by any use or design of the shower? If the answer to either or both is "yes", I can see why the OP's safety dept has a concern.

    I also asked whether or not that switch was required to be thrown in order to illuminate the eyewash station.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    There is no CODE (NEC) section, however there very well may be an OSHA section or 3. The last time I looked up mfg installations of shower type eyewashes, I did not see anything relating to nearby electrical gear.
    In general OSHA follows the NEC, perhaps not as updated but it is where the OSHA rules came from.

    I asked indoor vs outdoor, shower type vs gravity type was vague; to the point, is the switch subject to water either environmentally (outdoors) or by any use or design of the shower? If the answer to either or both is "yes", I can see why the OP's safety dept has a concern.
    I am assuming the OP knows a switch located outside or inside in a wet location needs to be treated as such.


    I also asked whether or not that switch was required to be thrown in order to illuminate the eyewash station.
    And I am still wondering what that has to do with answering the OPs question about the code.












    I am also left wondering what are we going to do about all the electrical devices located near these emergency devices?


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

    I asked indoor vs outdoor, shower type vs gravity type was vague; to the point, is the switch subject to water either environmentally (outdoors) or by any use or design of the shower? If the answer to either or both is "yes", I can see why the OP's safety dept has a concern. .
    Why? You can touch a light switch dripping wet with no shoes on and there won't be any danger.
    If Billy Idol or John Denver is on your play list go and reevaluate your life.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,015
    When in doubt, I start with Article 100.

    Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness
    or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily
    subject to dampness or wetness
    , as in the case of a
    building under construction.

    Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete
    slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations
    subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such
    as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed
    to weather.
    To my mind, the "not normally" aspect of an EMERGENCY eyewash station makes this a dry location. If it's a dry location, all rules for dry locations apply.

    If not, EVERYTHING in that area would need to be watertight. There is no distance involved in the description, so if you think of an eye wash station operation as "normal" and "saturating", then everything in that same room must then be referred to as a "wet location".

    Then if you insist on that, how far do you take it?

    Name:  144gdbroom.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  64.2 KB
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    And I am still wondering what that has to do with answering the OPs question about the code.
    Eyewash stations are required to have correct signage and be well illuminated. I ask if that switch is to the source of that illumination; you shouldnt have to fumble with a switch to use a shower.

    There does not appear to be any OSHA violation with a switch (of any voltage) being that close to the shower, tho I did find this from John Hopkins Hospital:

    Location:
    Shower located in an area that requires
    no more than 10 seconds to reach.
    In a well-lit area and identified with a sign

    and

    4. No obstructions, protrusions, or sharp objects shall be located within sixteen (16) inches from the center of the water spray pattern of the emergency showers or within six (6) inches from the center of the water spray pattern of the eyewash station

    5. No electrical apparatus, telephones, thermostats or power outlets shall be located within eighteen (18) inches of either side of the emergency shower or eyewash

    https://hpo.johnshopkins.edu/hse/pol...licy_10941.pdf

    If the switch is 2' away, it's okay. Davebones wrote in his first post it's "about 2 ft" away. JHU isnt OSHA, the NEC, or AHJ, however, that they include the information I cited above in (4) and (5) means someone is thinking about it and concerned enough to make it policy.

    Sprinkler heads are off topic; we could discuss that elsewhere if you wish.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,015
    Everything up to that last point (#5) is what's in the OSHA regs. So obviously JHU noticed that this wasn't addressed and came up with their own rule to compensate. Smart idea.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Eyewash stations are required to have correct signage and be well illuminated. I ask if that switch is to the source of that illumination; you shouldnt have to fumble with a switch to use a shower.

    There does not appear to be any OSHA violation with a switch (of any voltage) being that close to the shower, tho I did find this from John Hopkins Hospital:

    Location:
    Shower located in an area that requires
    no more than 10 seconds to reach.
    In a well-lit area and identified with a sign

    and

    4. No obstructions, protrusions, or sharp objects shall be located within sixteen (16) inches from the center of the water spray pattern of the emergency showers or within six (6) inches from the center of the water spray pattern of the eyewash station

    5. No electrical apparatus, telephones, thermostats or power outlets shall be located within eighteen (18) inches of either side of the emergency shower or eyewash

    https://hpo.johnshopkins.edu/hse/pol...licy_10941.pdf

    If the switch is 2' away, it's okay. Davebones wrote in his first post it's "about 2 ft" away. JHU isnt OSHA, the NEC, or AHJ, however, that they include the information I cited above in (4) and (5) means someone is thinking about it and concerned enough to make it policy.

    Sprinkler heads are off topic; we could discuss that elsewhere if you wish.
    Wow ... you are going on at length about clearances, illumination and such and yet tell me the example of a emergency fire sprinkler is to far off?

    The bottom line is this, the addition of a eyewash station does not change an area from a dry location to a wet location.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •