This is why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Actually, he did not ever prep the other piece if pipe as I recall. He definitely only swabbed cement on the one piece.

I kind of recall that as well. I do remember him being concerned about keeping the dirt off of it but for some reason he was occupied with something and I noticed he was cradling in his bare hand the part he just cleaned.

Like I said earlier I only watched roughly a couple minutes or so and had seen enough, even though he didn't show much of anything all that serious about installing wiring at that point yet. I wasn't going to allow myself to wish I had those 46 minutes of my life back after the video was over;)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Over 10 thousand views. With what we are required to and need to know in today's electrical industry, this stuff is an embarrassment to professional electricians imo. It will never stop until DYIs are limited more in the electrical field by the enforcement agencies in cities and towns. Won't happen in my time I know, but I'm hopeful someday it will. Maybe saves someone's life instead of just a foundation here and there.

What peeves me about those vids is the amount of views and likes they get, even the ones that are flat out dangerous. It gives the idea that the video is correct. The sad part on top of that are the guys who call it out get run over by the vid makers or some self proclaimed electrician. For those who don't know Utube is ignorance reinforcement on steroids.

The one guy had kind of a guido accent from jersey or Long Island but what was up with the other guy? Sounded like a kid who moved here from Russia as a kid or maybe got hit too many times in the head native English speaker

mivey

Yeah, the whole install was bad, but the house probably will not burn down or at least I hope not.
And I've seen worse from licensed electricians. Many DIY folks do better work although I would be willing to bet the percentages are way different than with licensed professionals. I'm not against DIY as a rule but just against bad work as a rule.

FREEBALL

all I can say is WOW I wish I had stock in myers hubs and PVC straps installers said they spent 1500 bucks on the wire, I thought that was odd until I saw they had copper SER LOL but man yeah this is a travesty.

And I've seen worse from licensed electricians. Many DIY folks do better work although I would be willing to bet the percentages are way different than with licensed professionals. I'm not against DIY as a rule but just against bad work as a rule.

My thoughts, too. I know a guy that renovated his entire house over a couple of years, and the work was first class. It was HIS house and he wasn't taking a single shortcut. For instance, he learned how to do lath & plaster to repair the walls, since they were mostly original lath & plaster. (And he had the 2011 NEC as a coffee-table book :D.)

kwired

Electron manager
all I can say is WOW I wish I had stock in myers hubs and PVC straps installers said they spent 1500 bucks on the wire, I thought that was odd until I saw they had copper SER LOL but man yeah this is a travesty.

possibly could come close to same budget by having a professional install it especially when they don't know what is acceptable, or just have the bigger is better approach. I have installed 200 amp main breaker 40 circuit load centers a few times in a residential garage because the HO bought some supplies, and then I fed them with a 60 amp feeder and only used maybe half a dozen breakers in the panel:slaphead:

FREEBALL

possibly could come close to same budget by having a professional install it especially when they don't know what is acceptable, or just have the bigger is better approach. I have installed 200 amp main breaker 40 circuit load centers a few times in a residential garage because the HO bought some supplies, and then I fed them with a 60 amp feeder and only used maybe half a dozen breakers in the panel:slaphead:

I just saw a service for a home, now be it it was probably 20 or so years old but it was run in plumbing PVC from meter in using a hard 90 guess that wire was pulled while the pipe was being glued also lol. Yea I had someone call me and say that their 100 amp panel is tripping their range breaker. It was the feed to the 100 amp feeder the range was gas lol.

Pharon

In the comments he keeps saying that the SER is waterproof so his AHJ allows it in conduit. Do they even make that? I thought waterproof service entrance wire was just USE, hence the "U"...

iwire

Staff member
In the comments he keeps saying that the SER is waterproof so his AHJ allows it in conduit. Do they even make that? I thought waterproof service entrance wire was just USE, hence the "U"...

I believe all SE is water resistant and the U in USE specifically indicates underground.

kwired

Electron manager
I only watched about first two minutes of the video. People keep bringing up the mentioning of SER being waterproof, it is or it would not be allowed on exterior of buildings. It is not direct burial rated, even though anything that is direct burial rated is going to be waterproof. Direct burial rated conductors or cables are evaluated for more then just effects from presence of water, you have more possible corrosive agents in the soil then on the wall of a building, plus underground can be in constant contact with moisture and corrosive agent for unlimited time where above ground does go through wet and dry spells.

Is type SE (SEU, SER) cable allowed to be installed in a raceway - yes. Doesn't really make sense to other then to provide extra physical protection in limited area of a run. If pulling it through a raceway that is completed from enclosure to enclosure, why not individual conductors instead of a cable through that raceway?? This can also result in larger raceway needed for the single cable then needed for the conductors only, plus the cable is usually going to be more expensive then the conductors only.

Is type SE (SEU, SER) cabe allowed in an underground raceway - possibly, but again why not pull conductors only if you have a raceway in the first place?

kwired

Electron manager
Specifically prohibited.

338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Service-Entrance Cable. Service-entrance cable (SE)
shall not be used under the following conditions or in the
following locations:
(2) Underground with or without a raceway

There you have it. I knew it wasn't rated for direct burial, I still don't know why you would want to pull it through a raceway even if it were allowed.

Pharon

I believe all SE is water resistant and the U in USE specifically indicates underground.
Yes, I misspoke -- that's what I meant to say, underground.

If all SE is water resistant, then why is it prohibited from being put in conduit underground? I mean, I get why it wouldn't be allowed to be direct-buried, but in conduit SER should be okay if it's water-resistant.

Maybe it has something to do with not enough heat dissipation?

ritelec

When installing separate conductors in a conduit, if they are taped together, the tape is to be removed.
Is that code? Common sense?
Would installing SE cable be the same as taping or bundling single conductors?

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, I misspoke -- that's what I meant to say, underground.

If all SE is water resistant, then why is it prohibited from being put in conduit underground? I mean, I get why it wouldn't be allowed to be direct-buried, but in conduit SER should be okay if it's water-resistant.

Maybe it has something to do with not enough heat dissipation?
Underground in most cases probably is able to run cooler then same cable carrying same current above ground because underground is going to be lower ambient temperature.

My guess is the cable was not evaluated for conditions likely encountered in an underground raceway.

Underground you can often run into raceways completely filled with water. Above ground the cable can get wet but is not constantly submerged. Above ground in raceway - raceways are supposed to be arranged to drain. If they aren't they freeze and break open in areas where it gets cold enough to do so, so the cable is not completely submerged in water for extended periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.