What does bumping phases mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I doubt this is the same as rolling phases which is a motor troubleshooting technique

Eddy Current

Ok I must have got the terminology mixed up, but does anybody know of any good examples of backfeed troubleshooting videos or websites?

Years ago when I was going through the Electrical Engeneering Tech program at the local tech college we did in fact use these terms. To boost a phase is to bring a generator online a couple degrees ahead of the line phase and to buck a phase was to bring a generator online a couple degrees behind the power companies phase. Boosting is no problem if you are ahead too many as the power company will "catch"it up but if you try to buck too much there is a deffinent "bumping" of phases.

jumper

I used to work with a guy that would use the term "colliding neutral" quite a lot. Never could figure out what he meant either.

Wow, you must do some high tech work:

Multiple-electron losses of highly charged ions colliding with neutral atoms
Mikhail Litsarev, Viacheslav Shevelko
(Submitted on 1 Sep 2012)

We present calculations of the total and m-fold electron-loss cross sections using the DEPOSIT code for highly charged U(q+) ions (q=10,31,33) colliding with Ne and Ar targets at projectile energies E=1.4 and 3.5 MeV/u. Typical examples of the deposited energy T(b) and m-fold ionization probabilities Pm(b) used for the cross-section calculations as a function of the impact parameter b are given. Calculated m-fold electron-loss cross sections are in a good agreement with available experimental data. Although the projectile charge is rather high, a contribution of multiple-electron loss cross sections to the total electron-loss cross sections is high: about 65% for the cases mentioned.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.0076

A man with Google is a dangerous thing.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.