Irrigation pump/voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

adagys

I have a 1 1/2 hp single phase motor which is going to be used to supply water out of a prone for a lawn sprinkler system. It is approx 225 feet from the main panel. I
The folate on the motor says it draws 19.9/9.95. What size wire should I use and what size breaker? I'm concerned about voltage drop. Also, is a gfi breaker needed? I am planning on running it at 240 v. Thanks!!!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have a 1 1/2 hp single phase motor which is going to be used to supply water out of a prone for a lawn sprinkler system. It is approx 225 feet from the main panel. I
The folate on the motor says it draws 19.9/9.95. What size wire should I use and what size breaker? I'm concerned about voltage drop. Also, is a gfi breaker needed? I am planning on running it at 240 v. Thanks!!!
You could get away with 12AWG for the whole run and be fine but then you would be wringing your hands all night worrying about voltage drop. Run 10AWG to the disconnect and use 12AWG at the motor to make hooking it up easier. No GFCI required at 240V.

adagys

I was planning on running 10/3 direct burial to a disconnect. Would a 20a breaker work? Or should I go 30?
When is a gfci breaker needed? I have been running pool pumps at 240 and using a gfi breaker, is that overkill? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.