9 gang cover CE listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

A friend of mine called and had to have a metal custom 9 gang cover made. Its CE listed and the inspector failed it for being non UL. Any ideas where to get a 9 gang switch cover like pic attatched ?

Attachments

• YW9G9DC_m.jpg
    YW9G9DC_m.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0

Cletis

The closest I have seen is the plastic covers with end and center sections that you interlock to any length.

Yeah, that's what I told him to do just to pass inspection. Gonna look hideous then after he passes....

I've been on kyle wallplates and they don't even have it and they usually have all the weird stuff.

Cletis

How constipated does the inspector have to be to fail a switch cover, even a 9-gang one?
I'm sure it wasn't made of cardboard..

This guy tee'd him off as he tried to hide a couple things with a ladder and some wood laying around so he went all code on him. :)

GerryB

A friend of mine called and had to have a metal custom 9 gang cover made. Its CE listed and the inspector failed it for being non UL. Any ideas where to get a 9 gang switch cover like pic attatched ?
Other than the listing did he give a valid reason? They make metal plate covers, as well as wood, ceramic, etc. Maybe he didn't like the 9 devices ganged together.:eek:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I had no idea that cover plates have to be listed. :?:? Seriously??? The inspector can hold up the whole job and the final inspection for a cover plate??

Cletis

Face plates aren't required to be listed AFAIK.

I did not know that :blink: Yes, he is holding the final permit up from that metal 9 gang cover actually. I'll tell my friend this. I thought anything installed by an electrician basically had to be UL listed ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I did not know that :blink: Yes, he is holding the final permit up from that metal 9 gang cover actually. I'll tell my friend this. I thought anything installed by an electrician basically had to be UL listed ?
Even listed equipment is subject to approval by the inspector vis-a-vis the AHJ [110.2]... but holding up completion over this item is ridiculous

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Basically, under the wide discretion provided by the NEC, all parts of the installation have to be acceptable to the AHJ, as represented by the inspector.
There are some items that the NEC explicitly requires be listed, and UL listing causes a strong presumption that the product should be accepted by the AHJ.
But, except for the few states or cities that direct the AHJ to accept any UL listed product, the inspector is free to reject anything on a whim, even if UL listed.
This unlimited discretion under the NEC is pretty much always reined in by local political pressure.
If, like your friend, you get the inspector's attention by bad conduct, you pretty much need to grin and ask for more....

Cletis

Wow ! My friend just sent me this pic of the cover they made. The inspector just left from second trip and said he now needs a 9 gang bubble cover since this is in a screened in porch :blink:

Attachments

• 9 gang cover non UL.jpg
    9 gang cover non UL.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Wow ! My friend just sent me this pic of the cover they made. The inspector just left from second trip and said he now needs a 9 gang bubble cover since this is in a screened in porch :blink:
And, of course, the bubble will have to be UL listed too....
Looks like going to several smaller switch groupings may be the only practical solution.
I would have problems finding the right switch in a row of 9 anyway.
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.