Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repurposing an 8/2 wire...

I agree with the above: using a ground rod in place of a proper equipment grounding conductor is a code violation and unsafe.

A ground rod will not carry enough current at 120V to reduce touch potentials significantly, and will not carry enough current to trip an ordinary breaker.

Small nit: A ground rod will likely carry enough current to trip a GFCI, which this installation has. IMHO this is still not safe because you are putting all your eggs into trusting the GFCI.

-Jon

Thank you all for the input. I will not be performing the installation as originally hypothesized.

As I was in the shower last night, it dawned on me to just locate the GFCI breaker in the main panel, and install a disconnect at the proper distance from the hot tub.

Sometimes a person gets so used to doing something a certain way (GFCI as disconnect near hot tub) that it takes a moment to formulate another method

Also, for those of you concerned with the size of the wire:

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  85.2 KB

Thanks again everyone. This is why this site is so valuable!

I understand you want to save the client some money by re-using an existing 8/2 feed. I wouldnt think the spa she is planning on buying comes from the factory set for 240V 30A service; too many limitations. If only the factory can perform the circuit board mods, I hope they are already done, and that she understands that a 30A service will not allow for running the heater while either the jet pumps on high or the blower for air is on. While the spa is being used, the heat will be off. Forget and leave the blower on, the spa is going to be ambient temp the next time it is used. If it was to be used back to back to back by kids, guest, etc, that water will cool off substantially.

Pulling a feed from the panel to the disco is sometimes the least difficult/time consuming part of the install. Personally, I wouldnt pay $4k+ for a spa to run it forever in gimp mode, nor try to run it at the 50A mode on #8, but to each their own.

GFCI disco is mainly used because the exact brand/type of the panel is unknown, or a GFCI breaker for it is more expensive than one at the disconnect. Also, there could be a fault in your 8/2 SER, in which case it will have to be replaced anyway, and is the main reason we dont use existing circuits like you have (wrong size, wrong length, wrong location, wrong wire type, too hard to re-route are some others) for spa installs. As much as I hate crawlspaces, I'll gladly take one trip to put in new wire and be done with it.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Pull a new feed. Wire and the labor is peanuts compared to the hot tub itself. Give the customer something they can appreciate.
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Pull a new feed. Wire and the labor is peanuts compared to the hot tub itself. Give the customer something they can appreciate.
    The hot tub was free from her sister (2004 model) I'll let her decide between having a tub tech adjust the circuit board or having me install a new feed. I'm doing this more as a favor so it's her call. All I know is it will be SAFE!

Quote Originally Posted by EEEC View Post
    The hot tub was free from her sister (2004 model) I'll let her decide between having a tub tech adjust the circuit board or having me install a new feed. I'm doing this more as a favor so it's her call. All I know is it will be SAFE!
    Don't you have any left over wire from a project?

The chemicals to keep the spa chemistry correct cost 20x what a length of 6/2 costs (unless those were freebies too). and I dont want to know how the wiring from the disco to the tub is going to be done... sorry, but 680 installs are really not places to cut corners (not that anyplace really is, but especially not 680 installs).

I can guarantee you a visit from a spa tech to change the panelboard to 30A will cost more than the 6/2 or even 4/2 to wire it 60A, if that's where it's set at now; maybe ask her sister what the breaker sizes are/were for the spa at her place. btw, a spa of that age may very well have cracked plumbing fittings from age and chemicals, ofc you wont find out until you fill it and run all the pumps. Just moving the spa can cause them to snap/leak/crack.

Also, it is a good idea to go thru and check all the bonds in the pool panel to make sure they are there, tight, and not corroded. Last used spa I did had all of these problems (loose grounds, cracked fittings, set at 60A). Not saying you will but they are things to look at when installing a used spa.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    The chemicals to keep the spa chemistry correct cost 20x what a length of 6/2 costs (unless those were freebies too). and I dont want to know how the wiring from the disco to the tub is going to be done... sorry, but 680 installs are really not places to cut corners (not that anyplace really is, but especially not 680 installs).

I can guarantee you a visit from a spa tech to change the panelboard to 30A will cost more than the 6/2 or even 4/2 to wire it 60A, if that's where it's set at now; maybe ask her sister what the breaker sizes are/were for the spa at her place. btw, a spa of that age may very well have cracked plumbing fittings from age and chemicals, ofc you wont find out until you fill it and run all the pumps. Just moving the spa can cause them to snap/leak/crack.

Also, it is a good idea to go thru and check all the bonds in the pool panel to make sure they are there, tight, and not corroded. Last used spa I did had all of these problems (loose grounds, cracked fittings, set at 60A). Not saying you will but they are things to look at when installing a used spa.
    If they even have the board for a 14 year old model.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    If they even have the board for a 14 year old model.
    The adjustment would be made on the existing board.

Quote Originally Posted by EEEC View Post
    The adjustment would be made on the existing board.
    How much is the cost?