Thread: NEC Crane Power Requirements

NEC Crane Power Requirements

Hi,

I am confused about section NEC 2011 Section 610 "Crane and Hoists." Typically in my projects we are only responsible for the main AC power to equipment. I have a project with a bridge crane and was told to provide main power. There is a bridge crane installer that will handle the rest. I'm looking at 610 and have some questions:

1. Table 610.14(A) - Do I use this table for power between my main 480V panel board and the crane controller (in lieu of the typical 310.15(B)(16)), or is this table only intended to be applied to the "runway conductors?"
    2. Are "contact conductors" the same as "runway conductors." Are these the typically the "festoon cables" that run between the hoist motors and the crane controller?
    3. 610.31 versus 610.32 - Does 610.31 apply to the main power between the source panelboard and the crane versus 610.32 which applies to the power between the "runway conductors" and the "hoists?" So basically I'm only responsible for the disconnect as it applies to 610.31?
    4. What are "secondary conductors" in relation to this section?

Thanks for your help!

I'm also confused by this section. Why doesn't Table 610.14(A) show ampacities for aluminum conductor?

Quote Originally Posted by jlee405 View Post
    I'm also confused by this section. Why doesn't Table 610.14(A) show ampacities for aluminum conductor?
    I approved your thread so you can each get your own replies.

See here:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=188975
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek