Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Voltage Transformer Wiring-Michigan

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarray View Post
    Thank you for your input. It might be the case that the inspector is requesting something not related to any code
    No matter what, they can't make stuff up. Even if the inspector works for the company, the only rules he can enforce are those written by the company. Before you make any further plans, try to get a copy of the company rules. Failing that, run your new plans by the inspector you are dealing with and inform him that the changes won't be made for free, and you will need a valid PO # to charge the work to.

I would still give a call to the state. It may be the store inspector is violating state law by making up rules. Get as much info as you can before buckling under to a 'store inspector'.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by surray
    Store Inspector flagged the fixture and said that the Cable carying Line voltage to the adapter MUST be hardwired
    Probably doesn't want to see flexible cords on top of fixtures because of the possibility of damage. Nothing to do with grounding.

Can you run Greenfield from a plate (remove the receptacle) to a KO in the transformer housing?

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    No matter what, they can't make stuff up. Even if the inspector works for the company, the only rules he can enforce are those written by the company. Before you make any further plans, try to get a copy of the company rules. Failing that, run your new plans by the inspector you are dealing with and inform him that the changes won't be made for free, and you will need a valid PO # to charge the work to.

I would still give a call to the state. It may be the store inspector is violating state law by making up rules. Get as much info as you can before buckling under to a 'store inspector'.

Thank you so much, I have forwarded the request for the inspector to specify which code he is referring to before we decide to go any further.

If it's just a store/company policy then retrofitting for one store is not an issue but I just need to confirm that it is not a violation of any code which may have an impact on every fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Probably doesn't want to see flexible cords on top of fixtures because of the possibility of damage. Nothing to do with grounding.

Can you run Greenfield from a plate (remove the receptacle) to a KO in the transformer housing?

-Hal
    We don't have a receptacle in the transformer housing. Just a metal enclosure that contains a grounding bolt a transformer (LED DRIVER) 3 prong plug cable at the primary side and 2 Conductor DC on the secondary

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Thank you so much, I have forwarded the request for the inspector to specify which code he is referring to before we decide to go any further.

If it's just a store/company policy then retrofitting for one store is not an issue but I just need to confirm that it is not a violation of any code which may have an impact on every fixture.
    For code violation info, you will need to call the Electrical Division, I posted the numbers. There is only one set of rules in Michigan. Local jurisdictions can no longer have their own rules. As of a couple code cycles ago, everyone in the state has to play by the same rules.

FWIW, I have called the Electrical Division before on code clarification issues and found them to be very polite, friendly and helpful.

Good luck.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

We don't have a receptacle in the transformer housing. Just a metal enclosure that contains a grounding bolt a transformer (LED DRIVER) 3 prong plug cable at the primary side and 2 Conductor DC on the secondary
    You would cut the "plug cable" off within the enclosure and wire nut it to some THHN that is pulled from the receptacle box location through the Greenfield. I would pull a ground also, bond the green from the line cord to the ground screw with the green from the receptacle box.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    For code violation info, you will need to call the Electrical Division, I posted the numbers. There is only one set of rules in Michigan. Local jurisdictions can no longer have their own rules. As of a couple code cycles ago, everyone in the state has to play by the same rules.

FWIW, I have called the Electrical Division before on code clarification issues and found them to be very polite, friendly and helpful.

Good luck.

Thank you very much! At least now its clear that it was not a grounding issue. I will call the Electrical Division as you suggested.