Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent HDMI Cable??

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    This is why cables from a TV should NEVER be installed so that they can't be easily changed. Smurf tube, large enough so that the connectors can pass through and installed so that the cable can be easily pulled through is the proper way. HDMI can be finicky and I would never install a cable into a wall like a romex run and count on it to work when the TV is installed.

You do know that cables over 25 feet utilize active connectors and only work one way with a definite in and out? I've never looked at testers for HDMI cables but I'll bet the cheap ones only do the shorter ones with straight through copper.

-Hal
    If the cable is installed backwards will it work at all, or will it work intermittently?

Will not work.

I have seen what seemed to be intermittent problems caused by an incompatibility between a cable box and a TV. Like I say, HDMI protocol is finicky. It isn't just a method of moving data from one device to another, it also handles security by allowing a TV, for instance, to tell a blue ray player that it is authorized to display the content in HD because it's not some kind of recording device to copy the disc.

-Hal

Will not work.

I have seen what seemed to be intermittent problems caused by an incompatibility between a cable box and a TV. Like I say, HDMI protocol is finicky. It isn't just a method of moving data from one device to another, it also handles security by allowing a TV, for instance, to tell a blue ray player that it is authorized to display the content in HD because it's not some kind of recording device to copy the disc.
    That's known as HDCP... High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Will not work.

-Hal
    I take from that that the hdmi is not run backwards?

After all we can buy a multi meter for $10 but no pro would use one of those.[/QUOTE]

a $10.00 or $20.00 multimeter will do most field work quite handily and if dropped, stolen or fried won't be a significant loss.
    jerryalan

Quote Originally Posted by jerryalan View Post
    After all we can buy a multi meter for $10 but no pro would use one of those.
    a $10.00 or $20.00 multimeter will do most field work quite handily and if dropped, stolen or fried won't be a significant loss.[/QUOTE]

True, but also consider some of those may blow up in your hand if you have it set on ohms and connect the leads to voltage.

I admit a fair amount of ignorance when it comes to HDMI, but ponder this:

a good 80% of reception problems are on the customer end, and usually from bad terminations of CATV. How do you know that the HDMI cable isnt simply exacerbating problems on the CATV side of this? Is this a mfg'd or field-terminated cable?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I admit a fair amount of ignorance when it comes to HDMI, but ponder this:

a good 80% of reception problems are on the customer end, and usually from bad terminations of CATV. How do you know that the HDMI cable isnt simply exacerbating problems on the CATV side of this? Is this a mfg'd or field-terminated cable?
    The customer tells me the picture is also bad when connecting to a DVD player. I assume that leads to bad hdmi cable or bad jack on the tv. I suggested to try a different hdmi input on the tv. Have notecard back.

What I don't get is how a hdmi cable or jack can work intermittently. I imagine the contacts don't heat up and cause this. I would think the connection would be good or bad all the time.

Only way to find out is to substitute a new cable. There are times where I had to fall back to a component connection (3 RCA video + 2 for audio) to make the devices work together.

How is the customer using one HDMI cable from the TV to multiple devices? Or is he just switching the cable from one to the other?

-Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; 04-03-17 at 09:34 PM.

Only way to find out is to substitute a new cable. There are times where I had to fall back to a component connection (3 RCA video + 2 for audio) to make the devices work together.

How is the customer using one HDMI cable from the TV to multiple devices? Or is he just switching the cable from one to the other?

-Hal
    I don't know. He just hired me to run the hdmi and power to the tv. He wanted to take it from there.