Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent HDMI Cable??

Intermittent HDMI Cable??

I installed an hdmi cable and the customer says the signal drops out intermittently. I thought hdmi cables either work or the don't. Any suggestions? Not impossible to replace but not easy either.

Yeh, it happens. Could also be an issue with HDMI connector on source or TV, but try a new cable first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

There may also be a problem with the length of the cable or sharp bends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

An intermittent source is not out of the question either. My cable box cuts out on occasion. At least I'm pretty certain it's the box.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    There may also be a problem with the length of the cable or sharp bends.

It's a 25' cable. I'm guessing that is not too long. Wonder if I can test the cable

Quote Originally Posted by mkgrady View Post
    It's a 25' cable. I'm guessing that is not too long. Wonder if I can test the cable
    If you do a lot of installs might be worth getting something to test with, otherwise even some of the inexpensive testers I found on a quick google search cost as much or more then just replacing the cable.

IME, cables don't (well, hardly every) go intermittent except at the connectors, and more often it's the device's connectors. Assuming it's a good-quality cable, my focus would be the on them.

OTOH, it's easy to loan another cable and drape it from source to display and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If you do a lot of installs might be worth getting something to test with, otherwise even some of the inexpensive testers I found on a quick google search cost as much or more then just replacing the cable.
    I do several hdmi installs every year. I see testers for as low as $20. Not sure if I would need to spend a lot more for something reliable. After all we can buy a multi meter for $10 but no pro would use one of those.

That length,.25', is about the limit for ordinary HDMI cable construction.
    The loss in signal amplitude from cable capacitance can interact with external electrical noise to cause intermittent operation.
    The use of buffering and error tolerant encoding makes for a sharp cutoff between seeming to be perfect and not having a picture at all.

Not impossible to replace but not easy either.
    This is why cables from a TV should NEVER be installed so that they can't be easily changed. Smurf tube, large enough so that the connectors can pass through and installed so that the cable can be easily pulled through is the proper way. HDMI can be finicky and I would never install a cable into a wall like a romex run and count on it to work when the TV is installed.

You do know that cables over 25 feet utilize active connectors and only work one way with a definite in and out? I've never looked at testers for HDMI cables but I'll bet the cheap ones only do the shorter ones with straight through copper.

-Hal