Thread: use -2

use -2

Hi

I understand that use-2 cables can be directly buried in pv systems? Are there any restrictions?

I would start with reading article 338 and then look through article 690 for any specific rules for USE and PV.

nec

I read both articles and I was not be able to find anything about USE-2 direct buried. I donĀ“t know if in your experience you have problems with direct buried USE-2 cable

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    I would start with reading article 338 and then look through article 690 for any specific rules for USE and PV.

Personal, I don't use direct buried cable simply because I have seen it fail many times and being that I am likely going to be the one to fix it I would pipe it. BTW, a friend of mine ran a 600' run of use-2 for a solar run and fortunately, he added a few extra conductors because some of them failed in less than a year. One rock is all it takes

Thanks for you answer!

Many thaks

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Personal, I don't use direct buried cable simply because I have seen it fail many times and being that I am likely going to be the one to fix it I would pipe it. BTW, a friend of mine ran a 600' run of use-2 for a solar run and fortunately, he added a few extra conductors because some of them failed in less than a year. One rock is all it takes