Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eliminating CFL bulbs, possibly even incandescent

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post

I don't care for the fact that you can't seem to get 100w equivalent LED's.
    I have one over my workbench that I got at Lowe's. I love it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-10...ulb/1000129839

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-10...ulb/1000129847
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I got incandescent PAR 38's. Still the best buy on a dollar per lumen basis.
    Perhaps lowest cost to buy..........but that is not the only cost to be considered.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

I am fortunate that most of the bulbs in my home have never burned out in over 30 years, Hard to believe but true. I finally realized why this is so. Other than we are good about not leaving lights on unnecessarily the voltage from the power company at my house is very low-- 113v-116v. I am guessing that is why they don't burn out.

I have recently replaced a bunch of R30's with Led's. We'll see how they do-- I'll let you know in 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I am fortunate that most of the bulbs in my home have never burned out in over 30 years, Hard to believe but true. I finally realized why this is so. Other than we are good about not leaving lights on unnecessarily the voltage from the power company at my house is very low-- 113v-116v. I am guessing that is why they don't burn out.

I have recently replaced a bunch of R30's with Led's. We'll see how they do-- I'll let you know in 30 years
    How long do your refrigerators last?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Perhaps lowest cost to buy..........but that is not the only cost to be considered.
    Absolutely true. Those can lights are dimmable, and dimmable CFL's are hideously expensive compared to incandescents. Based on my electricity costs, I need to get about 4 years out of a CFL to start saving money on electricity costs. Now, if you're in California where they use the smart meters in some areas to charge you $0.90/kWhr under peak conditions, that could be a different story.

I do have a couple of LED lamps installed over the bathroom vanity. They were givaways at some ecology fair they had at my church. I will admit, they have been going strong for almost three years now, and they have the highest duty cycle other than the kitchen lights. Another couple years in service and some price reductions and I'll probably move the whole house over.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    Glass.

Well, it looks pretty, but one reason I like the LEDs I have is that they are plastic. You can drop them on a hard floor and they don't break. I'll bet they are great for trouble lights.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Thanks for the info. I may consider them IFF I can be sure of their reliability. I went on Amazon and found that another brand, Philips, was getting very early life failures, up to 3 out of 4 in a year, not the 15,000 hours advertised. You can still get 100 watt bulbs through Amazon at about a dollar a piece with 1,500 hour life and 1,530 lumens vs 1,600. I'm ahead $1.98 which gets me about 165 hours of burn time. So, at $0.12/kW-hr, 15,000 hours is $180 for the incandescents and $28.80 for the LED. On an equal life basis it looks like $190 for incandescents and $40.78 for the LED. So, break-even on LED's would be about 12 LED lamps. So, if life is even comparable to incandescent, at $11.98 a pop you're ahead on power cost alone. Don't know about dimmables though. My dimmers are old school, I don't think the LED's would like them.

Right now, the only incandescents I have are on motion detectors that have soft start. One is an outside light with PAR bulbs, the other over the foyer. All the rest are LED's and a couple CFLs. I really like the LEDs.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

I finally jumped on the LED bandwagon. As they always say, never buy the first model year of a vehicle and I applied the same logic to LED's. Now that it's been a while and the industry is solidly in the LED direction, I feel confident using and installing them.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    I have incandescent lamps in the front porch fixtures that have been there eight years. Rarely On and on a dimmer besides.

Mixed reviews on the CFLs. Most have lasted over 4 years, some failed in a few days. I've replaced all the POS CFLs that I had in recessed cans with the LED trim. Those CFLs were terrible and expensive to boot.
    Tom
    TBLO