Yes, because elemental mercury is poorly absorbed in the GI tract unlike the mercury compounds found in fish. You could drink a cup worth of elemental mercury and not get sick. But breathing it in as it evpoarate is a whole other story, as well as the phosphorus which absorbs it.
Originally Posted by gadfly56
One time exposure from a broken bulb? Yes its certainly not the 3-5 milligrams under any stretch, but do you really want a pall point pen sized blob in your carpet giving of mercury fumes 24/7? That exposure adds up past the touted one time exposure claims.
What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.