Intersystem Bonding Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

I want to say no.

250.64(D)(1)(3) Connections to an aluminum or copper busbar not less
than 6 mm thick ? 50 mm wide (1?4 in. thick ? 2 in. wide)
and of sufficient length to accommodate the number of
terminations necessary for the installation. The busbar
shall be securely fastened and shall be installed in an
accessible location. Connections shall be made by a listed
connector or by the exothermic welding process. If aluminum
busbars are used, the installation shall comply with
250.64(A).

We mount these right on the meterbase all day long and pass. I get them for $ 1.50 apiece in bulk (100+)

Attachments

• 1D374_AS01.jpeg
    1D374_AS01.jpeg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
We mount these right on the meterbase all day long and pass. I get them for $ 1.50 apiece in bulk (100+)
I agree with MJF. The common distribution equipment grounding terminal strip is not listed to be installed in wet locations (unless you can actually provide a document for that exact bar that you picture that says it is).

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Maybe not, common sense says they do. I can't think of any other electrical device/component/cable/equipment installed exposed to the weather that isn't rated for it.

or did I misinterpret and you attach them to the interior of the meter pan?
No, I put them on the outside. What is the issue? If are on the inside of a service panel they are not directly exposed to rain or snow, but they are exposed to the same relative humidity, temperature swings, and the like. In reality inside may be more severe since condensation tends to pool inside metal enclosures.

Short of direct spray from salt water I can't see why putting them on the exterior or would matter.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
No, I put them on the outside. What is the issue? If are on the inside of a service panel they are not directly exposed to rain or snow, but they are exposed to the same relative humidity, temperature swings, and the like. In reality inside may be more severe since condensation tends to pool inside metal enclosures.

Short of direct spray from salt water I can't see why putting them on the exterior or would matter.

You are talking about an outside mounted panel, correct?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I put them on the outside. What is the issue? If are on the inside of a service panel they are not directly exposed to rain or snow, but they are exposed to the same relative humidity, temperature swings, and the like. In reality inside may be more severe since condensation tends to pool inside metal enclosures.

So your point is, that if the basic interior panel equipment ground bar is mounted exposed to the weather and the bar corrodes it is just as normal as the equipment ground bar corroding inside a panel and that both are OK.

That makes no sense.

IEEEHolmFig4.jpg

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Post a pic of a EGC buss screwed to the metal can of a service panel instead of a neutral buss on a service can that is Suitable for Service Use and used as such exteriorally (my new addition to the electrical lexicon, way better than Ampacity IMO) to make it an apples to apples comparison..... one or more that has stood through the ages if you have any in your library.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Post a pic of a EGC buss screwed to the metal can of a service panel instead . . .
Again, you are saying that the same bus bar, corroded inside a 3R can, or corroded outside screwed to the metal can, is OK.

That makes no sense.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
How many corroded bus bars have you encountered?
More than I care to remember. . . and I don't work in areas that commonly mount the branch circuit overcurrent protection in exterior mounted 3R panels. I saw that in Denver, and I wonder if you work in areas that have it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.