Cover Requirements in Maintenance Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning the underground in a maintenance shop. Everything will be run in sch 40 PVC. There is a 10" slab inside of a metal building. My interpretation of 300.5 is that I can run my underground conduits directly under the slab in the pad. The maintenance shop is for large trucks and bulldozers so obviously there will be heavy vehicles in the shop although I don't see anywhere that would prohibit my from running my conduit 0" below the slab. Any comments?

So, anyone agree or disagree? I've been looking for something in the code that would prohibit me from doing the above. I'm not too bad at code, but there are many people out there that are just code masters, any input?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I am beginning the underground in a maintenance shop. Everything will be run in sch 40 PVC. There is a 10" slab inside of a metal building. My interpretation of 300.5 is that I can run my underground conduits directly under the slab in the pad. The maintenance shop is for large trucks and bulldozers so obviously there will be heavy vehicles in the shop although I don't see anywhere that would prohibit my from running my conduit 0" below the slab. Any comments?
Nope 0" is okay by code.

Just a design issue. You are looking at laying the conduits on the prepped surface and locking them up in the concrete? If so, nothing I would recommend. I have only done a few on these types of jobs, but all had the conduit speced with 2" cover usually sand/fine crushed rock. And they all speced not locking up the conduits in the concrete where they exited the slab - had to put a wrapping around them or a sleeve.

I'm certain the reasoning was to not break the conduits. I work clear north. Concrete slabs do move. That being said, I've never used PCV in a shop - likely it doesn't break as easily as rsc when locked up in the concrete. Just a thought - it will definitely cost some labor to scrape a trench and cover the conduits

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.