Bonding Gas piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am trying to find out if there is a way for me to connect #6 awg from the gas pipe to the grounding electrode via clamp, or do I need to replace the whole #6 GEC and run a continuous length as per 250.64C through the intersystem grounding bridge, 2 electrodes and loop the gas pipe also.

The conductor between the gas pipe and the grounding electrode system is not a Grounding Electrode Conductor, so it is not required to be continuous.

Looking at 250.68C 2014 NEC, it does not say I can use ground rod 250.52A(5).
Grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted to be connected at the following locations and used to extend the connections to an electrode(s):
1. water piping 5 feet...
2. metal structural frame of a building...
3. A concrete-encased electrode 250.52A3

That section is not relevant to what you are doing, unless you are connecting the gas pipe to one of the items on that list. If you connect the gas pipe to the water pipe, then 250.68(C) allows you to use the interior five feet of water pipe to extend the connection you are seeking, which is the 10' underground.

I connected the #6 from gas pipe to intersystem bonding bridge, but as I was reading this thread, the IBB is not rated for GEC connection.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=166062

That seems like a reasonable method to get the gas pipe bonded for the plumber.

RICK NAPIER

In NJ we are currently using the 2009 IRC and IFGC which require the bonding whenever any type of CSST is used regardless of whether the installation instructions call for it. The 2012 ICC codes allows the bonding jumper to connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. It says CSST fitting but your standard pipe clamp is not rated for anything other then round pipe but there are fittings rated for the fittings. In NJ this is the electrical inspectors responsibility. Also according to the NJ electrical board of examiners a plumber can do the bonding unless it enters the electrical panel then it must be done by an electrician.

IRC 2009 SECTION G2411 ELECTRICAL BONDING
IFGC 2009 SECTION 310 ELECTRICAL BONDING

G2411.1 (310.1) Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST), that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.
G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Rick I seem to see an issue with what you posted. It says you can put a bonding jumper to the nearest water pipe yet it also says the bond must be done at the point where the pipe enters the building

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Ok, so I failed inspection and the inspector wrote " Bond house side of gas meter-outside to grounding electrode system"

I have #6 GEC that goes from the panel, outside through the Intersystem grounding bridge to two grounding electrodes in the ground 6 feet apart (not concrete-encased).
I am trying to find out if there is a way for me to connect #6 awg from the gas pipe to the grounding electrode via clamp, or do I need to replace the whole #6 GEC and run a continuous length as per 250.64C through the intersystem grounding bridge, 2 electrodes and loop the gas pipe also.

Looking at 250.68C 2014 NEC, it does not say I can use ground rod 250.52A(5).
Grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted to be connected at the following locations and used to extend the connections to an electrode(s):
1. water piping 5 feet...
2. metal structural frame of a building...
3. A concrete-encased electrode 250.52A3

I connected the #6 from gas pipe to intersystem bonding bridge, but as I was reading this thread, the IBB is not rated for GEC connection.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=166062

It seems like the others have commented on your issues and have given their respected comments. However, I would like to add a comment on the "intersystem grounding bridge" you are referring too. Since I can only assume here you are speaking of the the "Intersystem Bonding Termination" point as required by 250.94 and as defined in Article 100, for use with bonding "communication systems", I would not permit the connection of the CSST bonding/grounding conductor (as specified by the Manufacturer and/or IRC and IGCC) to this device. It is not listed for it nor to the best of my knowledge evaluated for it. While a termination is a termination, liability is assumed by whom ever terminates the bond/ground conductor improperly.

As with all lawsuits (more so with CSST suits) it is a matter of plausible deniability on many fronts.

However, as with anything maybe this "bridge" has been evaluated for the use....far be it for me to say otherwise.

pkelectrical

The conductor between the gas pipe and the grounding electrode system is not a Grounding Electrode Conductor, so it is not required to be continuous.
True

That seems like a reasonable method to get the gas pipe bonded for the plumber
Electrical inspector is failing me for it so I have to do it, and I wont get paid for it.

G2411.1 (310.1) Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST), that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.
G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.
Good reference material, thanks

However, I would like to add a comment on the "intersystem grounding bridge" you are referring too. Since I can only assume here you are speaking of the the "Intersystem Bonding Termination" point as required by 250.94 and as defined in Article 100, for use with bonding "communication systems", I would not permit the connection of the CSST bonding/grounding conductor (as specified by the Manufacturer and/or IRC and IGCC) to this device. It is not listed for it nor to the best of my knowledge evaluated for it. While a termination is a termination, liability is assumed by whom ever terminates the bond/ground conductor improperly.

It is not rated for anything other than communication systems, but I called today and the inspector approved it. As far as the liability isnt the inspector partially liable since he approved the bonding termination? :angel:

RICK NAPIER

Rick I seem to see an issue with what you posted. It says you can put a bonding jumper to the nearest water pipe yet it also says the bond must be done at the point where the pipe enters the building[/QUOTE

I think I'm not making myself clear. I was only speaking about gas piping not water piping though you could attach to the first 5' of a metal water pipe that was a grounding electrode.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So you are not of the thinking that the connection must be made outside the building at the entrance to the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.