Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing related

I have a septic system as I am not within any city or village waste water area.

I have a toilet in my shop that I keep neglecting to repair, but I am pretty sure has a bad seal between toilet and the plumbing system, not bad enough that you ever see any water leakage from under the toilet, but once in a while there is sewer gas in that room. The only other sewer connection in that room is a sink, and the trap is always full so the gas can't be coming through that drain. I think it is change in atmospheric pressure that causes the gas to be pushed into the room. The shop bathroom (the only room in the building with any plumbing) unfortunately doesn't have a vent like it probably should. There isn't much of a siphon problem when flushing toilet though because the run to the septic tank is probably only 20-25 feet max.

My point here is I think the vents on plumbing systems not only are there to prevent siphoning water from traps, but also to equalize pressure in the system when atmospheric pressure changes, so they will "inhale" as well as "exhale" at times.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Plumbing drain vents are for allowing air to be sucked into a system when you, say, flush a toilet. If there is no venting, the water going down the drain can create a vacuum on the entire system, which can suck out the water in sink and tub p-traps, and then allow sewer gasses to enter a dwelling.
    Exactly... but sewer gasses are still expelled from the vent during non-drain situations

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Vent pipes here are located on the roofs of structures (houses), but they are not always at the high point, and typically there is roofline nearby and higher than the vent stack.
    As I said, vent stack height requirements vary by jurisdiction. In many jurisdictions, it is simply 2' above roof penetration. In some jurisdictions it can be as little as 6".
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

See note a) it is what I am referring to the inspector, but again, any hazards are never, in my opinion, grandfathered

Plumbing Code Citations for Plumbing Vent or Vent Stack Clearance Distances

Quoting the IRC model plumbing code

12.4 VENT TERMINALS

12.4.1 Extension Above Roofs

Vent pipes shall terminate not less than 6 inches above the roof, measured from the highest point where the vent intersects the roof. EXCEPTION: Where a roof is used for any purpose other than weather protection, vents shall extend at least 7 feet above the roof and shall be properly supported.
    12.4.4 Location of Vent Terminal

a. Vent terminals shall not be located where vapors can enter the building.

b. No vent terminal shall be located directly beneath any door, window, or other ventilating opening of a building or of another building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet horizontally of such opening unless it is at least 2 feet above the top of such opening.

P3103.5 Location of Vent Terminal IRC 2012

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet (1219 mm) directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above the top of such opening

Looking at the site it may appear that the tank was installed prior to moving mobile homes in -- is this a rental property? most likely the placement of the homes is a violation & the real solution would be to remove them -- not unusual for a landlord to put items where they should not for extra profit -- Is this a certain life safety issue? be careful what you ask for there may be people evicted or an angry landlord -- just another concept to think about.
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Your opinion vs AHJ opinion.

You are going to need more help than what those from an electrical forum can do.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    Looking at the site it may appear that the tank was installed prior to moving mobile homes in -- is this a rental property? most likely the placement of the homes is a violation & the real solution would be to remove them -- not unusual for a landlord to put items where they should not for extra profit -- Is this a certain life safety issue? be careful what you ask for there may be people evicted or an angry landlord -- just another concept to think about.
    Good point, "grandfathered" may mean it was compliant when the vent was installed. If inspector digs deeper and determines the mobile homes were brought in later and maybe not permitted/inspected as they should have been, it may open another can of worms.

A Tube and Knob is grandfathered, BUT if it is in a hazard condition ... will you leave it in that way? There are several vent stacks in the park and this is the only one that is near to windows and shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Esthy View Post
    A Tube and Knob is grandfathered, BUT if it is in a hazard condition ... will you leave it in that way? There are several vent stacks in the park and this is the only one that is near to windows and shorter.
    Properly installed knob and tube should not be "in a hazard condition" unless someone did something non-compliant later on, like fill the wall cavities with blown-in insulation.

It looks like you might have a violation of P3103.5 and the vent should be extended to reach above the windows. That may lead to some support issues for the the stack, but that's a different can of worms. If the smell is sufficiently irksome, someone might consider extending the stack above the minimum required in order to abate the nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    If the smell is sufficiently irksome, someone might consider extending the stack above the minimum required in order to abate the nuisance.
    Something tells me the landlord doesn't want to do it, therefore the attempt to try to have an inspector make them do it, or something sort of along those lines.

Something also tells me if the smell is sufficiently irksome that raising it two more feet won't improve it all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Something tells me the landlord doesn't want to do it, therefore the attempt to try to have an inspector make them do it, or something sort of along those lines.

Something also tells me if the smell is sufficiently irksome that raising it two more feet won't improve it all that much.
    Certainly possible, but depending on site conditions and prevailing winds, it's surprising what a couple of feet can do with regard to carrying away smoke/stink. At the very least, the landlord could be compelled to go 3 feet above the windows.