Subfeed Lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
IMO it doesn't really matter what you call it, or whether it connects right at the breaker, on the bus via a plug on lug kit, or at the end of bus opposite the breaker - the conductors landed in those lugs are still feeders protected at same overcurrent level as the bus. Should they be smaller conductors then the overcurrent protection then they are feeder taps and you need to make sure you follow applicable tap rules for your situation.

I agree, and my OP was not to debate whether the conductors would be tap conductors or not. I have attached a snippet of a shop drawing I just received today of a Square D Powerlink NF panelboard where they will be using subfeed lugs. I was just hoping someone had a picture they had taken of an application where subfeed lugs like what is proposed in this shop drawings were used that I could use for training purposes. To me, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Subfeed Lugs.JPG

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, and my OP was not to debate whether the conductors would be tap conductors or not. I have attached a snippet of a shop drawing I just received today of a Square D Powerlink NF panelboard where they will be using subfeed lugs. I was just hoping someone had a picture they had taken of an application where subfeed lugs like what is proposed in this shop drawings were used that I could use for training purposes. To me, a picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 11506
Fair enough. I will say I can't ever recall such lugs (whatever you want to call them) attached to same end of bus as the main breaker/main lugs.

I have seen "sub feed" breakers attached to opposite end of bus from mains a few times.

Regardless of what they may be called they all are essentially nothing more then a point from which one can extend the bus so to speak if they protected by same overcurrent device that protects the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.