Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surveillance camera 1200ft wire run

Surveillance camera 1200ft wire run

I have 23 cameras running from a building to 23 light poles in a parking lot. The longest being about 1200ft away. The trench is laid out already, making it 1200ft plus the 14ft and 18ft light poles . They want to run it up inside of the poles (with the 120v going to the lights). I've done some small camera set ups, mainly homes and warehouse' s but not at these distances. I could use some advise on wire type and size even pricing. This has been a nightmare job and now this idea is suddenly most important. I don't know type of cameras yet.

Well, you're not running wired IP cameras at that distance without multiple active switches (max 330' for TP ethernet) or pulling fiber. Before you go further, you need to know about the cameras and how they'll communicate with the base station. Wireless or wired? IP over CAT5 or video over coax? Is the camera power from each pole or from the base station (that affects the cable size for the farther cameras)?

Sounds like the client is supplying the camera hardware, so they probably ought to spec the cable. But as Reagan said "Trust, but verify"- check the specs on the cable.

In the box at the base of the pole, install a media converter (that will convert it to fiber)(Comnet is the manufacturer that I use, but there are others, such as Kramer and Voscom. Kramer makes good stuff. Just do a search for video to fiber or BNC to fiber converters). At the other end, of course, there will need to be a receiver to convert it back to video. If you go with analog cameras, don't do anything less than 600TVL. The higher the TVL number, the sharper the picture.
    CIAO!

Ed N.

egnlsn hit it on the head with the fiber. The cost of fiber, terminating and converters can be less than a single lightning strike. Yeah, lightning may take out a camera and both converters but that's still cheap. Also eliminates the possibility of ground loops.

Quote Originally Posted by haywire
    They want to run it up inside of the poles (with the 120v going to the lights)...
    Quote Originally Posted by egnlsn
    In the box at the base of the pole, install a media converter...
    Anybody here see the problem with this?

-Hal

Ethernet over DSL. The termination adapter would be a couple hundred per pair. The adapters go on both ends and the long run in the middle runs as a private point to point DSL and 1,200 ft should be no problem. It is functionally equivalent to a very long LAN cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tupavco-TEX-1.../dp/B01BOD8C9W

I don't have any experience with this device and can't vouch for it so you have to do your own research in choosing the unit. Needless to say, you need to come up with equipment cabinet that resists tampering from ground level.

Back when I was doing CCTV, it was shorter runs (<400') with RG59/18-22/2 siamese cable. Cameras were never powered locally. I imagine it is possibly to get 1200' from RG59/12-2 if you cannot power the cameras from the poles. Following this topic...
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

If it's a long run from the building but the poles are clustered together enough to allow a home run to a point that can be designated as equipment cabinet, you could run ethernet over DSL to the equipment cabinet from the building and connect all the cameras to equipment cabinet by power over ethernet.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Anybody here see the problem with this?
    Just a few. To paraphrase an old friend, "Either we don't know enough, or if we so, this was not well thought out."

Video/data transmission signal/technology/media
    Camera power source
    Media converter power source
    Environment for media converters
    Code compliance for the above

For instance, is there a 24-hour power source for the cameras & media converters at the pole? Is it 120v, 240v, or 277v?

Once way of dealing with this, and it wouldn't necessarily be my way, is to ask the client what they want installed and do just that with no guaranty of suitability.

Comnets have an operating temperature range of -40 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit, so as long as they're in environmental enclosures, they're good. There's also a 24VAC unit, which can be powered off the camera's transformer.

I inherited a site that has 105 such setups, and I have never had any issues.
    CIAO!

Ed N.