Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: arc flash labling

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hanover park, il
    Posts
    9

    arc flash labling

    are employers, required ( in industrial envroments) to put arc flash lables on the electrical equipment, electrical boxes and switch gear,
    where can I find this information, The 2011 NEC states Shell be,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,508
    Quote Originally Posted by reyamkram View Post
    are employers, required ( in industrial envroments) to put arc flash lables on the electrical equipment, electrical boxes and switch gear,
    where can I find this information, The 2011 NEC states Shell be,
    They are required to be there. It is not required that the employer put them there. An obvious example would be when a contact employee is working in a facility not owned by his employer.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rutland, VT, USA
    Posts
    260
    NFPA 70E-2015 Article 130.5(D) states that the owner of the electrical equipment shall be responsible for the documentation, installation, and maintenance of the field marked label. This refers to the information required on an arc flash label.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,781
    Quote Originally Posted by reyamkram View Post
    The 2011 NEC states Shell be,
    Typically Arc Flash labeling, of existing equipment, is covered by NFPA 70E Electrical Safe Work Practices. These labels require a risk analysis and often involve calculations to determine hazard levels.

    The NEC, NFPA70, has recently added some minor requirements for general labeling at the time of installation. These labels often are applied without any analysis.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by reyamkram View Post
    are employers, required ( in industrial envroments) to put arc flash lables on the electrical equipment, electrical boxes and switch gear,
    where can I find this information, The 2011 NEC states Shell be,
    A very good resource is https://www.arcflashforum.com/index.php. It is moderated by someone who is very active in the IEEE.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    st louis, mo
    Posts
    20

    label is current but beyond 5 years

    What do we do about labels that are still current as far as the data ( PPE, Cals, ect) but are over 5 years old. Should dates be put on AF labels. Relabeling is not a requirement but how is somebody supposed to know if the label is still accurate if it is over 5 years old?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rutland, VT, USA
    Posts
    260
    How do you know the data is still good on the label? Did someone contact the utility to verify that the available short circuit current and X/R change? That is one very valid reason to perform a review every 5 years. Also you should verify that the labels contain the information required by the current edition of NFPA 70E as that may drive a label change.

    If there are truly no changes then it should be documented to back up leaving the labels as is even if there is a date of the study on the label.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    7,592
    NFPA 70E is only applicable if its an adopted standard, if you are under OSHA, it is used. In Washington we are under WISHA and they have different standards.

    But, the NEC, since the 2002 edition has had a requirement for arc flash warning, the requirements have changed over the years, but basically its

    110.16 Arc-Flash Hazard Warning.
    (A) General. Electrical equipment, such as switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that is in other than dwelling units, and is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, shall be field or factory marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall meet the requirements in 110.21(B) and shall be located so as to be clearly visible to
    qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.

    So NPFA70E may be applicable, but the NEC defiantly requires labeling. Typically the AHJ will enforce this on new installs
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kissel View Post
    What do we do about labels that are still current as far as the data ( PPE, Cals, ect) but are over 5 years old. Should dates be put on AF labels. Relabeling is not a requirement but how is somebody supposed to know if the label is still accurate if it is over 5 years old?
    The system study is supposed to be redone after 5 years. Second round is generally cheaper since most of the modeling work is already done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    NFPA 70E is only applicable if its an adopted standard, if you are under OSHA, it is used. In Washington we are under WISHA and they have different standards.

    But, the NEC, since the 2002 edition has had a requirement for arc flash warning, the requirements have changed over the years, but basically its

    110.16 Arc-Flash Hazard Warning.
    (A) General. Electrical equipment, such as switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers, that is in other than dwelling units, and is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, shall be field or factory marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards. The marking shall meet the requirements in 110.21(B) and shall be located so as to be clearly visible to
    qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.

    So NPFA70E may be applicable, but the NEC defiantly requires labeling. Typically the AHJ will enforce this on new installs
    NFPA 70E is a National Consensus Safety Standard and the judicial system tends to use these standards as generally recognized and accepted engineering practices for litigation purposes so unless your state functions under a different standard, such as WISHA for Washington State, then it's the standard to follow. Unlike the NEC NFPA 70 which is adopted by the AHJs, NFPA 70E is in effect upon issuance, which for the NFPA 70E 2015 edition was July 29, 2014.

    Unfortunately my experience has not shown AHJs enforcing the installation of arc-flash labels, and I think that's because the owner can assert that they will never work on the equipment while energized. That often leaves assessment of PPE requirements to the electrical contractor who must then use the tables, and they are limited in coverage due to the kA and ocpd timing qualifiers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •